New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 Vartag information
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Team
Can anyone out there help me in regard to this caliber - looking at shooting 32-39 grainers - what has worked in regard to barrel twist and LENGTH?
I am thinking of rebarreling my sako with a 22inch?
Suitable powders? in New Zealand basically only ADI and Vitavohi - some interchange between Hodgon and ADI but i want to be careful.

thanks Muzr

Posts: 28 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
muzr: cruise over to saubier.com forum; many 20Vartarg shooters posting there.
I bracket the Vartarg in my rifles...I have the Fireball and the 17MIV, and H322, Benchmark, and V-V N120 will certainly work from your available powders.
The 1:12 twists most often used has been iffy on stabilizing the 40gr VMax or Nosler, and 1:10 or 1:11 would be a good option for sure stability.

I do have a 20-222Improved...just used a 204 barrel and set it back, then used a throating reamer to accomodate the long 222 neck, also allowing me to eliminate the long freebore found in the 204 chamber.
RL7,10X, and Benchmark have been have been its favorites.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mulerider
Ive had a look at saubier after your recommendation - ive gone with the 1 in 12 so i'll let you know how it goes.

Posts: 28 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mulerider, how did you cut the neck with a throating reamer?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eddie: RE the 20-222Improved...used a piloted reamer of proper dimension (I believe is was .230"...I will check my notes), measured off a cast of the 204 chamber, and increased the chamber length for the 222-length neck accordingly.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote