Tools

Re: 6*45 or 6mm / 223
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Kymble
posted
TSJ,
Thanks for the tip

I'm really impressed with the range of 6mm/.243 projectiles that are available. I also have access to ex military brass (5.6 x 45), as long as I buy it by the kilogram.

Posts: 129 | Location: Brisbane. Queensland. Australia. | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got a 6X47 and it is a fine cartridge. The thing is that it is every bit as good a varmint gun when one loads the 60 Gr. 6MM bullets, and it also makes a reasonable deer gun, out to about 200 yds when bullets of 87Grs.+ are used. I will send you my data on the 6X47, which is pretty much what you can expect out of the 6X45. There is not that much difference in the capacity, it is mostly a matter of the neck being longer.

With the 6X45 you use about 1 to 2 grs. less powder to get pretty much the same results.

Posts: 10 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Kymble
posted Hide Post
prof242,
Thanks for the info

I was looking at using projectiles in the 75 - 90grn rannge. How long is the barrel on your REM660?

Posts: 129 | Location: Brisbane. Queensland. Australia. | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have had one for more years than I care to admit. It was built up on a Rem 660. Have never used anything but military brass for it. Mine isn't tempermental and never have heard of that problem for others that have them. But this isn't a large number so...
Barrel is a 1-10 twist Shilen. Seems to love 85 grain bullets the best. Under 75 or over 95grainers, don't seem to do as well. Great gun for use by my grandchildren for their first deer and antelope.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote