Find
Notify
Tools

8mmx50BMG, IMP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll EyesJust received my 8mm X 50BMG , IMP and will post range results later today. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI guess everyone thought this to be an April fools joke!--------------------------------------------- You're right homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well dang it Roger, I was standing by waiting to see the results. Roll Eyes

Your little Gremlins gave it away.

But, you know what, I'll bet you'll get guys to thinking, hmmmmm, 8mm/50BMG, maybe that would work. fishing

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
But, you know what, I'll bet you'll get guys to thinking, hmmmmm, 8mm/50BMG, maybe that would work. fishingRay

It sure would let us use up a bunch of cheap 5010 and 5020! homerroger

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Make it 338 to use the 300 and 350 grainers with insano BC's!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
BOOM
300 grain capacity and a 8mm bore damn bart that really sounds fun! animal

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Already been done a multitude of times.....have to come up with something more outlandish to fool us.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Already been done a multitude of times.....have to come up with something more outlandish to fool us.

I think you are right and look it only took you 27 days. homer I think prior to WW II the poles came up with a similar anti tank rifle. Either it didn't work very good or they didn't have enough of them! shockerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about necking a .375 or .400 into that BMG case?

You know what I think? I think the fox among all them dogs is there for the pre-hunt safety briefing...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:

I think you are right and look it only took you 27 days. homer I think prior to WW II the poles came up with a similar anti tank rifle. Either it didn't work very good or they didn't have enough of them! shockerroger

It took me 27 days to stuble over your post and another 13 days to trip over it again!! Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:

It's been done. State Arms used to offer a rifle chambered in that round, called it the Mach V. Here is a comparative pic of the .375/50BMG round.
Jacketed lead in .375 could be sent down the tube @3700 fps. Barnes copper solids @4400fps and Klaus sold bronze solids that would withstand 5200+fps!

Since the previous owner, Klaus Horstkamp, was killed in a truck rollover, State Arms was bought out by an employee and renamed East Ridge Gun Company. The Mach V is no longer listed on their website, but I'm sure they still have the reamer.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goneballistic:
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:

It's been done. State Arms used to offer a rifle chambered in that round, called it the Mach V. Here is a comparative pic of the .375/50BMG round, .50 BMG & 7mm Rem mag.
Jacketed lead in .375 could be sent down the tube @3700 fps. Barnes copper solids @4400fps and Klaus sold bronze solids that would withstand 5200+fps!

Since the previous owner, Klaus Horstkamp, was killed in a truck rollover, State Arms was bought out by an employee and renamed East Ridge Gun Company. The Mach V is no longer listed on their website, but I'm sure they still have the reamer.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
What would barrel life be like? Anywhere similar to something like a 204 or 220 Swift?

Or more extreme yet?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
What would barrel life be like? Anywhere similar to something like a 204 or 220 Swift?

Or more extreme yet?

I have no personal experience here, and not many Mach Vs were sold, so there's not much out there about them, but I'm guessing barrel life would be similar to a .220 Swift...back in the '30s. Maybe worse.

Massad Ayoob

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:

Or more extreme yet?

I have no personal experience here, and not many Mach Vs were sold, so there's not much out there about them, but I'm guessing barrel life would be similar to a .220 Swift...back in the '30s. Maybe worse.

You could do a case capacity to bore ratio on both comparison and come up with a pretty educated guess. Eekerroger

One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

You could do a case capacity to bore ratio on both comparison and come up with a pretty educated guess. Eekerroger

You would need to come up with 3 guesses. One for the jacketed (Sierras?), one for the Barnes bullets, another for those bronze bullets. The jacketed and copper bullets just can't hold up to the rpm of a fully stoked load. There would most likely be a big difference in the rate of erosion, from one load to another. I have an internal/external ballistic program that will calculate expansion ratios, I could figure in the dimensions of a .50 BMG case necked down to .375 and even come up with some loads, if there is a slow enough powder in the database.
Ahh, maybe one rainy day. fishing

Massad Ayoob

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
, I could figure in the dimensions of a .50 BMG case necked down to .375 and even come up with some loads, if there is a slow enough powder in the database.:

Is 5010 or 5020 in your data base? fishingfishing is nice beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys did I mention that y'all boys are reinventing the square wheel again??

The cartridge already exists and is in use. It's on Ammoguide, Pac-Nor does the chamber and barrel, etc., etc.,......about the only thingthat hasn't been done on the BMG case is a 10 Bore short auto pistol. hillbilly

one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew you were kidding, you have a 50 BMG necked down to a phonograph needle, but thats just between us, none of these baby boomers know what a phonograph needle is! hillbilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote