New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 thoughts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a taperd octagon blank a while back in 375. I have read a bit here and there on some of the 375's. Just wondering what I could go to on a marlin lever gun. I have a 375WW gun and really like it. Has shot exceptionally well for me from the get go.
I don't mind a wildcat and enjoy fooling with them. I want somthing that will feed in a Marlin with out any problems. Somthing in the effect of a 375JDJ has crossed my mind. Dunno if it would work and feed well in a 444.
Any thoughts or input?
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well if you stuck to bullets that wouldn't have issues in a lever action....the JDJ is a good choice. However, hard to get that done on a custom job as I think JDJ doesn't authorize anything that wasn't made by him to have the JDJ name on it.

What about a 375/450 Marlin? Not sure if it would feed well or not. I'm sure you'll get some more responses tomorrow

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't quite follow your thinking on bullet selection? Unless you are refering to a spitzer type compared to a round or flat nose for the tube magazine.
As to the JDJ and him coming up with a lot of wildcats. Do a bit of research, and for the most part a majority of the JDJ line were "invented" way before SSK ever came to be.
Ken Waters came up with the 375 Express in 1971. JD just "improved" it.
No disrespect towards him meant. The JDJ line has became a generic term, much the same way "AI" has. Mauser is another generic one that comes to mind.
Most anything one could think of as far as a wildcat and it has been done to some extent. How many of them are an actual improvement over somthing comparable is the question.

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Check out Gary Reeders cartridges. reedercustomguns.com

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow this got buried! you are correct about spitzer vs FN type bullets. unless you're using 375 Win bullets, it would be unsafe to use the much more commonly available 375 bullets in a lever action. JDJ might not have been the first to do some of the designs he uses...but, he stuck his name on them and semi-legitimized them or made them more popular with his T/C barrels.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 BearTooth....See James Gates postings..
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=4871
Where did you get your tapered oct. barrel and what is it's twist rate?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The obvious classics for a Marlin, .38/55 which is the .30/30 case blown out straight, but works at awful low pressures. The modern, higher pressure version is the .375 WCF.

The other is the .38/56 made on the .45/70 rim. Much obsolete so ammo would be fun, but before it got buried in the archieve it was Ackley Improved... Runs not to far back or .375 H&H factory loads. Probably kicks too.

.348 Winchester is on the old .50/70 rim and has been all over the map too. Down to .30 Howell and up to .450 and .475 Alaskan. No idea if that can work in the Marlin of today.

No doubt the .450 Marlin has more brass in the head. Should work in a Marlin necked where you like. Retracing old steps. Luck. Happy New Year.