New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading a 30/40 AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone out there reloading for the 30/40AI? I have a friend who has one, but can't find any loading data, and the folks selling the Ackley set of books advised against using the data in them, so he's looking for information. Any help will be appreciated, and I can send him over here to join up and read these posts. Thans.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tysue

Before looking for load data you have to make darn sure exactly which cartridge the rifle is chambered for. There are several versions. If you don't have any fired cases then a chamber cast is in order.

I don't know why someone would advise against using data from Ackley's books. Just start low and work up the same as you would for any other wildcat. The basic plain old 30-40 Krag loads is also a good place to start.

Also, the strength of the rifle is very important. The Krags have been chambered in some very weak actions and in some very strong ones too.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was aware of that. The rifle this guy says he has is a Ballard made (Cody) 1895 Repro, so should be strong enough. I sent him the same info concerning using the data in the Ackely book(s). Not sure why anyone wants a 30/40 AI when the 308, etc., already there. Same thought here, use the regular 30/40 loads to fireform cases with, and shoot some, then move up a little at a time.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote