Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm/250 Savage Load Data
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone know of a source for loading data for the 6mm/250 Savage wildcat? Specifically I'm looking for data for IMR and Alliant powders as I have data for Hodgdon.

Posts: 20 | Location: Littlestown, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a Nolser #1 manual they have loading data using IMR powders with 70/85gr bullets only. Sierra also has data for the
6mm International (6x250) using IMR powders
60/70/75gr bullets you might want to call them.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe David Tubb shoots a slight variant of this cartridge and there is ample loading info on the 6mm br forum. Those guys like the loooong bullets as heavy as they can get them. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look under "6mm International." No idea why, but that is the "name" hung on this round. 6mm/,250 Savage. One version has the neck shortened a bit. The other uses the neck full length. Last I looked, been a while, Remington was still chambering the 40X in this. I have an old Speer manual uses this name. And, of course, you can always go back, way back, to Mr. Ackley's books. Eabco.com has them. Sinclair. Ebay sometimes. That would be Hercules powder, but should fit o.k. luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
Look under "6mm International." No idea why, but that is the "name" hung on this round.

There are several versions of the 6x250. The "International" is just one of them. They are not all the same. There can be quite a big difference in case capacity between the biggest and the smallest.

Before looking for load data you need to establish exactly which particular cartridge your rifle is chambered for.

Also, barrel twists will vary quite a bit which could limit your choice of bullet weights. The smaller cases were oriented toward Benchrest, using light weight bullets in a slow twist barrel while the bigger versions were used for hunting with heavier bullets in faster twists.

The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th from the left are three of them. 5th from the left is the Tubb cartridge mentioned.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The cartridge I am looking for is the fourth one from the left. It is simply the .250 Savage necked down to 6mm with no other changes. Sierra says to use the mid point data for the 6mm International but that does not give me an indication of the maximum loads.

Posts: 20 | Location: Littlestown, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dmickey

I used to shoot the 6x250 in a Benchrest rifle. I shot 70 grain bullets in a 14 twist. Probably not what you're looking for. I could probably dig out some of my old loads if you think they would help but I know none of them are for Reliant powders because I've never used the stuff.

I would not feel uncomfortable using data for the 6XC, interpolated for the smaller case, and then start low and work up.

Or, if you have good 6x250 data for Hodgdon powders you should be able to interpolate from that.

Do you have a case capacity for the particular lot of brass you are using??

Ray

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dmickey:
The cartridge I am looking for is the fourth one from the left. It is simply the .250 Savage necked down to 6mm with no other changes. Sierra says to use the mid point data for the 6mm International but that does not give me an indication of the maximum loads.

If you look at Sierra case diagram on the 6INTL it has the same case OAL as the 22-250/250 Savage they set the shoulders back by .102" less case capacity and gave the case a longer neck. Water capacity on the 6INTL is 44.06grs if you look at the 22-250 its 44.62gr and the 250 is 45.54gr. You may have appr 1gr more case capacity with a 6x250 so I would load like Sierra said and you should be able to load maybe 1gr more powder for a max load using 6INTL data.

You might want to get a copy of John Donnelly
"The Handloader Manual of Cartridge Conversions" as they have alot of information on the 6x250,6INTL,case capacity etc.

I've got about 150 rds fired in my 6x250 it's got a 1/14 twist barrel and with 68gr bullet 3400/3500fps. Well good luck

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Sierra has load data for the 6mm Int'l published and if you call them they are always willing to give loads from there very large unpublished data. try 1.800.223.8799 and see if that number is still the one they use.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
A few years ago Varmint Hunting Association Magazine ran a very extensive article (by Steve Timm, if I remember correctly) on his 6mm-22-250) and had very many load combinations.
Perhaps a search of that will help.

Posts: 784 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
A few years ago Varmint Hunting Association Magazine ran a very extensive article (by Steve Timm, if I remember correctly) on his 6mm-22-250) and had very many load combinations.
Perhaps a search of that will help.

I searched for that quite some time ago but they were out of that back issue!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Email me and I'll send you whatever I have.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best loads seem to be 32.0 IMR-4064, 33.0 VV N140 with 105 Bergers and/or 107 Sierras. I emailed the others to you.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! thumb