New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm AI vs. 6x284
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering once again, another long range varmint rifle. I've never really messed with any 6mm's so i was looking at something in that caliber range. I nearly bought a pair of rifles in 6x284 and i've been kicking myself ever since. I've heard quite a bit about the potential of the 6mm AI. I was wondering, what are the specs on these two cartridges velocity wise. Let me know any experiences you have had with either. Thanks
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
My only experience is with the 6 M/M AI. I think it will fall short about 2-3 grs. in case capacity to the 6-m/m.284. The .284 has the capacity of an '06 and I don't think the improved 6 m/m Rem. will quite match the 6-.284. Velocity wise, I don't think the 6m/m AI will be enough different to matter. The one thing that might be better in the 6-.284 is the arguement that you have an inherently more accurate cartridge with "short/fat" case vice the "long/slender" of the 6 m/m AI.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The plain-vanila 6mm Rem. is a fine round, so the AI should be even better. I have never used either of these two, but have a 6mm/.284, and it is great! This is the best group I ever shot with it, but it has produced quite a few that aren't much bigger. 26" Douglas Premium Grade barrel, FN Mauser action, Myrtlewood stock......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you guys been able to get 4000fps from your rifles using 55 or 60 gr. bullets?

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get 4250 fps with r19 and a 55 grain nosler out of my custom 6mm-284 with a 27 inch barrel. Makes a mess out of things.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck,

I would pick the bullets that you might shoot first. Then select a twist for optimum results. For instance there is a 87 gr Hornady VMax with a Ci of .400 that should be considered.

From there I would pick a cartridge case that took the least forming. It's my opinion that the more work one does on case the worst it gets. Thus some options would be the 243 Win with Lapua brass, the 6mm Rem or some larger case. There is the 243 WSSM also that I have not thought about.

As for myself I have found that the regular 243 with normal bullets such as the sleek 70 gr's to have quite a long range. One marksman here is hitting pests at very long range with a 6mm BR chambered in a fine rig.

For extreme range bombing I favor the larger rounds and you have one in the 25-06. A step up would be the 6.5mm's.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you gonna use a short or a long action?

Have you taken a look at the 6/06?

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruck- Are you stuck on these two rounds? If not there is also the .243 AI and the cousin of the 6/06 the .243 Catbird(.270 Win necked down and blown out with a 35* shoulder) I have both of these and they are devastating on small furry things(as would be your 2 picks) I don't think you will really go wrong with any of the above.--Mike

Posts: 52 | Location: Pierce County Washington | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ruck:
I'm considering once again, another long range varmint rifle. I've never really messed with any 6mm's so i was looking at something in that caliber range. I nearly bought a pair of rifles in 6x284 and i've been kicking myself ever since. I've heard quite a bit about the potential of the 6mm AI. I was wondering, what are the specs on these two cartridges velocity wise. Let me know any experiences you have had with either. Thanks
Ruck
I've got a 6X284 with a 1/14 twist barrel set up for 68/70gr bullets and it easily get over 4000fps. My 6mmremAI is a 1/10 twist and I use 80/100gr bullets but I got a 6mmrem with a 1/14 twist and with 68/70 gr bullet I get around 3800fps and had I done that rifle as an AI I should of been pretty close to 4000fps and less powder and barrel wear than the 6x284. I also shoot a 6.5x284 and custom 284 and have another 6mmremAI set up as an antelope rifle. I like both rounds as you can tell and prefer to let each rifle stand on it's own merit instead of trying to compare this against than. The only advantage the 6x284 has over the 6mmremAI is that you don't have to fireform me I have a pretty good varmit load for the fireform as not to waste that barrel. Well good luck.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 6/284. It's barreled for light bullets (70 grs) with a 1-14 twist. Kind of a specialty gun but 4000 isn't much of a challege that way. If you do go wth the 284 don't fall for the short action argument. The 284 case isn't that short and if your rifle has a bit longer throat you won't be able to set the bullet out and fit it in a short action magazine. Mine is built on a 700 LA and it works great without any rail work.
I'd say it all depends on how you're going to use the gun. If it's going to be midsized game, faster twist an more powder. If varmints, then all sorts of options with less recoil come to mind or even one of the super short wonders.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Precision Shooting magazine had an article awhile back comparing the two, with real data. They got close to 6mm-284 velocities with the 6m AI.

My 6mm-284 started as a varmint-weight .243, and the twist won't stabilize bigger bullets. Good to decide on bullet weight before you start. I'm happy with 85 grain Noslers for hunting, but was a little disappointed with the result when I tried some 117 grain VLDs for targets.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get 55-grain ballistic tips out of my 6mmAI at 4200 fps and 70-grain ballistic tips at 3800 fps.

Good shooting

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen 3600 fps out of my 6mm Remington with 55 grain ballistic tips & a starting load from the Nosler manual. I would not think that 4000fps would be too difficult to attain, if that was your goal.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler reloading guide has three loads over 4000 for the 6mm. I had my AI to 4300. thumb

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote