New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Herter Ram Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone ever seen one? I have an old Herters reloading book that lists it. It shows a cartridge with a DOUBLE bottleneck. It says it was designed for the standard (30-06) length action. It looks like it used a .375 H&H Magnum belted case, but shorter and with the double bottleneck. It shows 3,521fps with a 150gr bullet and 3,107fps with a 180gr bullet, both at under 54,000psi. No idea if this is proposed or tested. Recoil is supposed to be "light".

I have never seen a double bottleneck before.

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, there were four of the Herter double-shouldered cartridges; .247 Herter Missile Magnum, .247 Herter Ram Magnum, .270 Herter Ram Magnum and the .300 Herter Ram Magnum. Besides those, there were two by P.O. Ackley; the .228 Double-Jointed Magnum and another on the .30-06 case. Since then there has been the .224 Hansell. There are probably many more, but those are the ones that I can recall fairly quickly.
Regards,
Hockeypuck

www.aement.com
Home of AccuLoad and LoadTech

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I can almost guarantee you whatever Herter said is far removed from the truth.

I enjoyed reading all his books, as one gets the impression that the Herter empire covers the globe, and Herter himself has the last word about everything we encounter in our daily life.

It was very amusing reading indeed.

I am going to dig up a case we have here somewhere, where we were in the process of chambering a 308 Winchester rifle. We normally run a drill into the barrel just short of the shoulder.

Well, in this particular case, one ingenius gunsmith we have here went a bit too far.

The results was a chamber with a double shoulder - just like the Herter's magic offerings.

I will post the photo when I find it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67459 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

I found the case, and took of a new photo of it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67459 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info everyone. I know all about Herters. I grew up reading his catalog and when I got old enough, even ordering from it. Everything in it was the greatest there ever was. To be fair, though, the stuff I bought was good quality and at a fair price. Plus I could get just about anything for shooting there, which was not the case with any of the local gunshops.

Anyway, the pressure was WAAAAAY below and velocity was WAAAAAAY above anything similar sized in my load books. I doubt the double bottleneck did much, but I had never seen one.

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I can almost guarantee you whatever Herter said is far removed from the truth.

I enjoyed reading all his books, as one gets the impression that the Herter empire covers the globe, and Herter himself has the last word about everything we encounter in our daily life.

It was very amusing reading indeed.

I am going to dig up a case we have here somewhere, where we were in the process of chambering a 308 Winchester rifle. We normally run a drill into the barrel just short of the shoulder.

Well, in this particular case, one ingenius gunsmith we have here went a bit too far.

The results was a chamber with a double shoulder - just like the Herter's magic offerings.

I will post the photo when I find it.

I wonder if this is exactly how Herters, Ackley and others come up with this genius idea? Pure accident, "what the heck well try it any way"

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote