Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Vetterli Rim fire to center fire
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
FYI fishingA while back I tried to sell a gorgeous, near mint Swiss Vetterli Rim fire for a friend of mine.It had been in one closet or another for almost 90 years, so the story goes. NO TAKERS so I bought it and and had a shooting buddy convert it to a center fire. He has 15 of these rifles and has converted many others. Roll EyesSome collector missed out. shocker

For this conversion there never was any factory ammo made so I guess it is a wildcat.THE CASES ARE MADE FROM SLIGHTLY MACHINED. TRIMMED AND FORMED .348 CASES.

Yesterday the first target from this conversion was given me. BOOMAt 100 yds. with open sights the first 4 shot group had two in the bull and two in the 10 ring a measured group of 1.7". thumb The next 4 shot group was at 12 0'clock 1 1/2" from center bull and measure .4". Wink

These were cast bullets over 300 gr. moving at 1200 fps.pushed by a mild load of 5744. popcorn
Some what of a deversion for me but an interesting fun thing just the same. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's fun when a plan comes together.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancingShot the, now, center fire Vetterli yesterday for the first time. What a thrill. I was just like a kid popping steel targets with 310 gr. cast bullets out to 300 yds using open sights. The avg. velocity was 1250fps. Didn't need a spoter because of the modest trajectory and low recoil. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Swiss Vetterli might be the best kept secret in Antique Milsurps. There are thousands of them in excellent condition sitting unshot because they're rimfire and ammo is unavailable. The centerfire conversion is easy, dies are made by Lee, brass can be made from 348 Win or Grafs 5x50R Lebel, and bullets are 44 Cal. They can be very accurate! I shoot a custom 330gr and like 22.0 grs of SR4759. That and 12.0 grs of Unique seem to be almost universal loads for guns like this.

Posts: 36 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy_P:
The Swiss Vetterli might be the best kept secret in Antique Milsurps. There are thousands of them in excellent condition sitting unshot because they're rimfire and ammo is unavailable. The centerfire conversion is easy, dies are made by Lee, brass can be made from 348 Win or Grafs 5x50R Lebel, and bullets are 44 Cal. They can be very accurate! I shoot a custom 330gr and like 22.0 grs of SR4759. That and 12.0 grs of Unique seem to be almost universal loads for guns like this.

clapThanks for the posting , Andy.My interpolation indicated that 22gr. of 4759 would get around 1250fps. I loaded 18gr and 18.5 gr. in an effort to drop just below sub sonic. Wed. we'll see how close it got.Thanks for sharing your info! beerroger

posted Hide Post
In my gun, 22.0 grs of SR4759 under a 330 gr cast gives 1450 fps which I consider a max load for that powder.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy_P:
In my gun, 22.0 grs of SR4759 under a 330 gr cast gives 1450 fps which I consider a max load for that powder.

Is the 8mmARP yours? In the early 90s I did the 8mmX425WRX2.5",,, Which later became 8mmX.404x2.5". It differed from yours in that it had a longer neck a 26 degree shoulder and somewhat less capacity. The motivations were the same. beerroger

posted Hide Post
Yes that is mine. In the world of Wildcats, it's all been done before. Wink

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FYI popcorn
310grain cast bullet, WLR., WW.348 cases, oal= 2.22"
  • 18.5gr. 4759, avg.fps=1200 accurate some soot but very little.
  • 19gr. 4759, avg.fps= 1200 ?? accurate
  • 19.5gr. 4759, avg.fps=1250fps. accurate.
  • 17.5gr. Acc#9, avg.fps=1170, 2.5" group @50yds.a little gas in the face.sooty.
  • 18gr. Acc#9, avg.fps=1209, Sooty.

BOOMAccurate, big holes, no kick; just a fun shooter. beerroger

•