New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a new one to me. Does anyone have any particulars on this round? Things such as velocity, energy, etc.? It sounds like a good deer hunting round for long distance shots. Things such as shooting across bean fields etc. Any info will be appreciated.
Roadtrash

Posts: 118 | Location: Tonopah, AZ, USA | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the .308 BEAR but if you mean the .308 BAER ,it is the 8MM REMINGTON Mag. necked to .30 caliber.It was designed for 1000 yard matches. 190 gr.bullet at 3400fps

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat Crazy,
Is the .308 Baer a simple neck-down with the same shoulder diameter and angle as the parent, or was it "improved" with a wider shoulder and a sharper angle?
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops! My typing doesn't always come out the way I see it in my mind so bear with me. Is anyone thinking about producing the brass or is this another round that is destined to remain a wildcat? I've had no experience with this round but it sure sounds like something that would be a good hunting round. What's the chamber pressure like? Sounds like a good one for the Ruger #1 for shooting across the soy bean fields in South Georgia.
Roadtrash

Posts: 118 | Location: Tonopah, AZ, USA | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Improved taper, shoulder, and shortened neck.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HockeyPuck,

I believe it is much as DanD described it.I don't have one in my collection so I do not have the measurements.

It is Bruce Baer's baby,his address is;

Baer's Gun Shop
19714 Swailes Rd.-P.O. Box 228
Willow Hill,Pa. 17217

Ph. 1-717-349-4077

Fax 1-717-349-7647

He offers about 8 wildcats with his name on them.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't really gotten into brass forming yet but it is growing on me like some kind of disease. What's involved in forming the 30-8mm? If it's that much easier I may go that way if they are compatable as far as ballistics are concerned. As I said I am new to the wildcat world so any help will be appreciated.
Roadtrash

one of us
posted Hide Post
Basically all I do to form 30-8mm is to run 8mm Mag brass into a 30-338 or .300 win mag die. The die needs to be backed off enough so when you neck the brass down it just barely goes in the chamber. There is not much more fireforming that takes place when you do it this way then shooting new factory brass is standard chamber. The .308 Baer requires a dedicated step to fireform brass which, in my opinion, is a waste of barrel life. It would be different if you had a junk barrel to fireform in but an expensive custom barrel your losing valuable life.

As far as dies go, you can use a set of .300 win mag Hornady dies and a Hornady .30 cal. neck die to load them. All of Hornady seater dies are collet type so they will load .308's to .30-378 in the same die. You wont have a full length die unless you order it but it's a cheaper way to play with many wildcats without having to shell out for the custom dies. I actually prefer neck sizing to full length anyway and by the time the cases need full length sizing the cases are about out of life.

If you want Bruce Baer to chamber it he has a 30-8mm reamer as well as his 308 Baer reamer.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat Isn't 3400 fpr with 190 gr bullets a little optimistic? Case capacity is not much different than a 300 Wby. What barrel length and chamber pressure are you using to achieve 3400fps??

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote