THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    A Question on Cartridge Length for Standard Actions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Question on Cartridge Length for Standard Actions
 Login/Join

posted
In designing wildcat cartridges to operate in a "standard" (30/06 length) action, is it the loaded OAL (<3.35") or the case length (<2.54") or both that are limiting factors? Obviously wildcats made from 30/06 family cartidges can be no longer than their parent (2.54"), and bolts, mags and the like are designed to handle no more than a 3.35" OAL without work, but is there any reason why a cartridge cannot have an OAL of 3.35" or less, but a case length of say, up to 300 Win Mag length (2.62")? I think I have answered my own question with the 300 Win Mag example (that it is the loaded OAL that is the limitation), but if that is so, why have so many wildcats designed to operate through a standard action been designed with a length of less than 2.55"? Is it to ensure sufficient neck length to grip the bullet or does case length have an impact on feeding from the mag, or some other effect?

Posts: 36 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say more the full length neck option. Sometimes a blown out case will have feeding problems, but really, with a little work you can get just about anything to feed (look at the WSM's). Probably the max case mod on the -06 case would be the Gibbs line, short neck, blown out 35 degree shoulder, and they will feed thru most -06 actions with minor adjustments. - Dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote