THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    What to do with a .22/250 bolt face & action?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with a .22/250 bolt face & action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With a new rifle on order, the old action will sit on the shelf, the dead barrel to stir creosote or make holes in the soil!

There must be a wildcat based on this, the original wildcat, what recommendations of a succesful i.e. accurate wildcat?

tikka 5 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A sweet little 250Savage perhaps?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your options are endless........

one of us
posted Hide Post
6mm-250 Ackley Improved Smiler

When the throat gets toasted, re-chamber it to 6mm Remington AI and shoot it some more.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
With a little bit of reading and research, you will find that the Remington 260 is a superb all round cartridge, similar to the 6.5 x 55 Swede. (not a bad choice either!) Very accurate, easy to load for round and was used for many a year by match shooters and known as 6.5/308. There are some superb hunting and match bullets available for the 6.5 and more versatile than the straight 6mm/.243. Just a suggestion.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete, what kind of action do you have?

Do you want to use the original barrel? ie. keep a .224" caliber cartridge.

Your bolt will work with a variety of cartidges... what we need to know is the length of cartridge your action can handle and if you want to change caliber or retain your old barrel in .224".

DaMan

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So...
rws says options are endless,
Con says 250 Savage
Johnly says 6mm-250 AI

Hmm. I have the possibility here to fit something between th other toys - .22/250, .243, 6.5x55, .303, .308 so - shall I take it up or down in bore?
Whatabout necking the 22/250 case down to ...I dunno... .14, .19 or .20?
BTW, I have no great urge to re-use the barrel on this short action receiver.

thanks guys,

tikka 5 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not a wildcat but here's another vote for the .250 Savage. I've often thought about buying a good used .22-250 and having it rebarreled to the .250 Savage.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
It's not a wildcat but here's another vote for the .250 Savage.
-Bob F.

I was going to suggest a 6mm XC, but I see that you have a 243 Win.

In that case, I too vote for a 250 Savage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one 250 Savage and I'm in the planning stages for another. The 250 is a fine cartridge, may AI the next one??
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
What is the intended purpose of the rifle?
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the intended use?

Rather depends what you guys come up with but let's say you end up pushing me down a calibre, it might end up as a walking varmint rifle. If on the other hand you propel me to a bigger calibre by necking up, it could end up as a 100/200 yard target gun.
Who knows? - I hope you guys do!!!

tikka 5 barrels

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
My first thought on seeing the topic was: 250 Savage. Nice to see I'm not the only one.

Since you have no 257 yet it makes even more sense. Give it a light to medium contour 22" or 24" barrel and you'll have a delightful deer and walking varmint rifle.

When I mention a cartridge,the rifles involved:
22LR Cooey SingleShot | 22 Hornet 40sCZ | 223Rem CZ 527 Varmint
30-06 Husqvarna Sporter | 300 WinMag A-BoltII S/S BOSS | 458 WinMag Ruger #1

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
another vote for the 250 savage. also, i have read that the 250 savage is one of the cartridges that benefit most from the AI treatment...so maybe a 250 savage AI(as DMB suggested)? or you could just send me the action and i will suffer thru this dreadful decision making process Big Grin good luck with your choice...bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For something "different"....... how about something like the .45 Winchester Magnum? Or a lengthened version of that cartridge?

A non-belted (and slightly scaled-down) version of the .458-2" American that could use the existing bolt and action would be extremely cool!

DaMan

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For maximum fun, I would consider one of the BR cases...a 6MM or a 6.5mm would be a lot of fun and have great accuracy potential. A 7mm BR would shoot 120 grainers 2700 fps and 140s 2500 fps for deer and still make 3000 fps with a 100 gr HP for varmints.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a 250 savage improved necked up to 6.5 with a
30 degree shoulder??? it will be a year or two before i can do that to my 22/250.

posted Hide Post
Pete. 22-250 ackley improved. Pick up around 150-200 fps easy to form cases, good brass life.I wish I had your action this is what it would be. Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
22-250 8 or 9 twist barrel that'd propel the 65 JLK LD, BC=.395 @ 3400+/- (and a few other higher BC bullets as well). Add a 4-16X Burris Ballistic Mil-Dot/Leica 1200 Scan rgfdr. for easy 600+ yd. walk-around varminter.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote