New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 BR Big Boy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Someone stop me. (Or give me $20k to build all these.)
Took the Lap case and used it to make a scaled version of the 6mm BR. Case is 1.8", COL 2.8", case cap is around 72-75g water to the top. This sucker would do quite well with VLD's since there's almost 1.4" from the base of the neck to the tip of the bullet.
Anyone want to run QL on this puppy?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll play ;o)

OK, 1.8 case, 2.8 COL, 72 gr water. Assume 63K psi tops. 24" barrel, 107 gr SMK in 6mm OK?

Here is what I get:
107 gr Sierra MK, 1.8 case, 2.8 col, 24" barrel, 60K psi - 3300 fps.

According to COTW, the 6mm/244 AI will do the same ...

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks, Marty, but the idea is for a .308" bullet.

I've no doubt it will be bested by others out there; the Win Mag has more powder room.

That's not the point, like the 6mm BR and PPC are not about ultimate velocities.

But rather consistent burning at good velocities for greater accuracy.

I think, like the 6mm BR, it should probably be allowed more room for the heavier bullets. Maybe even 3.34" If it can push the 210g Berger out of a 30" bbl at 3000 fps I'd put some money on it.

If the 210g B is 1.53" or so, then COL of 3.1" would put the base of the bullet at about 1.57". Neck above that, brings the case length to about 1.9" and about 80g of water.

I think that's a little more like what's needed.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, but that's a little beyond my interests at this point.
I'm not sure the case is big enough to warrant it. Aren't they mostly for really long powder columns?
Anyway, the big issue for me is finding a sensible action to put it in.
I suppose the M70 short will take the boltface mods, but I don't know about the boltthrust.
A Yugo might do just fine, except for the slow lock-time.
Are there any major fixes for Mauser ignition system?
Different forum perhaps.
I keep tweaking the design a bit. Musch depends on the likelihood of shooting 180g or smaller. Methinks 190 and up w/ 10" twist is the way to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes flash tubes are used in larger anti-tank rounds, but the idea is still the same. Igniting as much powder as posible as quickly as possible, when u surround all 360 degrees of the initial flash, you get a more effecient ignition. I believe there was an article in handloader a few months ago where they tried flash tubes in a rifle cartridge, they found the velocity deviations to be lowered.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they make lighter firing pins with stronger springs for the the 98 mauser (brownell's, Tubbs lock time kit). It does not fit the Yugo but can be modified by fileing in one more striker groove on the firing pin and cutting off the excess fiting pin that protrudes from the rear of the striker.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you're describing the Lazzeroni Patriot which in the improved version has been doing very well in 1000-yard matches in the Phoenix area.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Patriot?!
That little thing?
It's actaully a bit fatter, and longer COL, but yeah, it shuold be along those lines.