THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    7mm STW Improved. Any experience with this?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm STW Improved. Any experience with this?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of recoilpad
posted
A while back I purchase a Rem 700 Sendero that was rechambered to a 7mm STW Improved. The rifle started out as a 7mm Rem Mag. The rifle came with dies and some fired brass. The fired brass looks intimidating. This should be one heck of a 7mm. Would anyone have any experience with this cartridge. I have not shot it yet, even though I can shoot the regular 7mm STW cartridges in it. Is there any hunting advantage to using a 7mm STW Improved vs. the original? Thanks for any advice on this.
recoilpad

Posts: 339 | Location: Texas via Louisiana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The 7STW is already way overbore. I don't know what you really gain by going with an imp. Expect to burn more powder. With a 24 or 26" barrel you are barrel limited. I doubt is there is much gain over the STW.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have. The gunsmith I use to work for had one. 150 fps faster than the original. Can't remember the velocities but we used H1000 powder. There isn't really much of a gain since it is overbore anyway. 7 STW is pretty hard on barrels and this just adds too it. Just shoot factory ammo or load max when reloading for standard 7 STW. Good luck.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only question here is "Why"? I have a 27" 7mm STW on a 700 action, and get 3350+ with the 160 Partition and 3600 with the 140. Why would anyone want to burn the throat faster by improving this one? H1000 has never been the "best" powder for my STW's, since I had much better success with H5010. Now I am fooling with Retumbo, and it really shows promise also. Regards, Eagleye.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would shooting standard 7stw ammo in an improved chamber increase barrel life over shooting standard 7stw ammo in a standard chamber?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 7 stw is already overbore... 7 rum? would be the boat

jeffe

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote