Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 338 Short Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
70.5 grains of IMR 4350 in Federal cases = 2916 fps for me out of my 26" barreled Model 70 338 Win Mag. Thats chrono'ed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The 7mm WSM is competing directly with the 7mm Rem Mag and Winchester is the first to say it is the full equal to the Rem Mag. In fact I believe I say an advertisement that listed the velocity of the WSM as higher then the 7mm Rem Mag with 140 gr bullets, which is laughable at best.

I have 3 7mm Rem mags. One won't exceed 3000fps with 160 gr bullets without sticky bolt lift or other pressure signs. The other 2 can get 3050 or so without getting into problems. All have 26" barrels.
I have a Kimber 8400 in 7 WSM with a 24" barrel. Federal 160gr Accubonds list the factory velocity at 3120. They actually average about 3150 in my Kimber with a 2" shorter barrel. Hardly Laughable at best.

I bought these dies almost 2 years ago:

Still no rifles. May have to try a 325..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue, Kimber is going to offer the .325 in their 8400. Check out the announcement on their site. I am skeptical of this new round. I doubt that it will really offer anything that the .300 can't already do. I think the beauty of these short mags is in the light rifles that are being offered, and to me Kimber represents this better than any other production rifle. My .243 Kimber Montana became an instant favorite, so it seemed the only right thing to do was to buy a Classic limited edition .300 WSM when they came out. The .300 isn't here yet, and already I'm thinking that a 7-08 Montana rechambered to .284 would be an ideal sheep rifle. Hey, I'm going sheep hunting some day! And I don't have a wife to tell me NO! Ha!!!

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I feel in an attempt to be unique, they missed the boat offering a round that really provides nothing over the 300 WSM at all.

I think Win missed the boat on this one.

Just my opinion,

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Anyone that has experimented with an 8mm-06 chambered in a properly lengthened M98, loaded to healthy pressure specs would not be making such statements.

The 8mm-06 when loaded properly to an A.O.L. of 3.34" is damned near equal to the 300 Win Mag, and leaves the 30-06 in the dust, especialy with bullets of 200gr or more.

Oh by the way, the bullet selection in 8mm tops out @ 250grs, (Woodleigh Weldcore) not 220grs.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote