Find
Notify
Tools

MartyW ?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
MartyW,
Been looking at your web site for the 458 socom and the 500 phanthom.I have a XP-100 from SSK in 12.8x50.9 the 460 weatherby case cut to 2" and opened up to use .510 bullets.Getting 300gr Barnes@3000fps,600gr Woodleigh@1800fps.Question is in regards to your 30cal sabots.Do you sell them,they hard on muzzel brakes,what kinda of groups,velocitys you getting.Do they foul up the barrel?Just looking for other things to try.Thanks for any help you can give me. Wade

good shooting and hunting

WADE

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty here, had the little one sleeping in my arms last night, makes typing a little hard sleep

The sabots came from a company up north, in the MidWest, do not recall the name to be honest, would have to dig through the tax receipt pile .... DO NOT EVER FIRE THESE THROUGH A MUZZLE BRAKE, this is a sure way to cause serious bodily harm to yourself or bystanders. Two things can happen: the sabot gets lodged and the next round is an "obstructed bore" situation or small parts of the sabot are sheared off by the brake and are expelled from the brake at extreme high velocity toward yourself, your spotter, etc. Our rifles have removable brakes and are fired without the brakes when the sabots are used. We have not shot for groups, but hitting a man-size silhouette at 200 yards was not a problem for my brother in law when using 168 gr SMK in these sabots. Velocity is hard to measure as the sabot tends to wreak havoc on your chrony ... need to have a LexGaurd shield to protect it from high velocity impact .... but the computer suggests we are launching those 168s at 3200 fps ....

Hope that helps

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MartyW,
Thanks thats what I thought about brakes.Plus I was wondering about the chrony getting beat up.My brake is not removable so I guess this is a no go,my 50-70-650SSK barrel is unbraked but with the XP I was hoping to get the 190gr Hornady BT going right around 3300fps or so.I have a XP in 300RUM and I can get a 180gr Nosler going just under 3000fps.Just trying to get sometthing for longer range.Thanks for your help Wade

WADE

one of us
posted Hide Post
LONGER range? The 338 Lapua might be the ticket or else the venerable 50 BMG ... then the 460 Steyr would work as well, or you could look at the 338-505 .... A 30 cal version of the 500 Jeffery would have more capacity than the 300 RUM and the 500 Jeffery itself is larger than the 50-70 ...

Plenty of options to chose from

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
MartyW,
Uuummm yep that would work,but not in a pistol.Thats what I shoot for long range.Kinda hard to get a 50BMG in my Encore or XP-100 but if I could I would Confused

WADE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forget, no hunting with rifles in Indiana (lived there for several years myself)...

What about 338-378 Wby? There is a new round coming out that fits the Rem700 bolt (needs some slight modification) and fits the mag, and rivals the 338 LM in performance ... not sure if it will be in the public domain or .mil only

Marty ter Weeme
Teppo Jutsu LLC
Home of the .458 SOCOM
www.teppojutsu.com