THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    What interesting chamberings can you neck up/down 7mmSTW cases too

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What interesting chamberings can you neck up/down 7mmSTW cases too
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks I have a heap of 7mmSTW cases, just wondering what you could neck these up or down too ?

Thinking the 8mm Rem Mag would be very versatile......

also wondering what youd get with the 7mmstw case necked up too 9.3 cal ?

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
So you return the 7stw back to its parent case? A 9.3 stw would be darn close to a simple 375 Wby actually between it and the 358STA

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Down to 25 cal, and up to 35acl?

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you necked the 7stw down to 25 cal, I don't think you could find a slow enough powder to take advantage of all it's powder capacity.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 with a 28" barrel would be interesting as would a 9.3 in a normal barrel length.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm new here and I was looking to hopefully pick up some helpful tips. Here's one I know a lil about since I shoot the 7STW and I just had a .257 STW built for the wife which I neck down NEW 7STW brass too.

I reckon two reasons you would wanna use new brass on this one is that it's HOT to say the least and I have had reports that it will start pierce'n primer pockets usually before the neck cracks. Second is the amount of work that goes into resize'n I would only wanna use new brass.

I ain't no guru but I reckon you could use your old brass but I don't really know the safe answer to that.

It's a great shooter so far. I have been breaking in the barrel slowly and I have seen speeds up to 3750 already with a 100 grain Accubond... I have 2 more grains to go before maxed out but I think it will come together before I get there, it's looking like.

Posts: 10 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the 257 STW also known as the 257 Tomale?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well it is if James Ferguson builds it for ya, he calls it a .257 Hot Tamale. I hear he builds an awesome rifle but it's a lil more than I wanna spend. I built my OL's for half of what he charges. I would love to have one of his creations but I can't afford it...

There's a good read on his rifles, just google it and his name.

Posts: 10 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 September 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Anything up to 470 Chapstick.

I'm partial to 35's, so a 358 STA would be an interesting one, but there really aren't any high bc bullets to take advantage of the STA's potential.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote