New
Find
Notify
Tools

a 7 mm Rimmed . . .
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a rimmed case out there over which one could simply run a .280 Remington die over to get a .280 Rimmed?

Seems like a simple enough wildcat . . . I'm looking at getting a 7 mm in a rimmed case for my encore in the 280 class, and it occurred to me that this might be the simplest way to go about it.

I know of a 7-08 based off the 444 Marlin case . . . just was wondering if one could go up to an '06 case size, like perhaps off of something like the .405 Win (just tossing that one out there, I don't know if the dimensions come close or not)

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
There is a 7x65R, RWS makes brass for it & Hornady has it in their last loading manual. I always thought a 9.3x74R would be great necked down & "improved". I have a ,338x74Keith, a necked down/imp. 9,3x74R on a Ruger #1. A very cool looking cart. w/ an OAL about 4"!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
What about a 7x30 Waters. Great cartridge in a rebarrelled Rem 788 rifle

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Well, not exactly, because the 7X65R has a shoulder a little farther back towards the head than the .280, but they're close. A mild fireforming load might take care of this problem without stretching the case ahead of the rim.....

The 7X75R vom Hofe case could be used, but you'd have to trim it back to 64mm after forming it in your FL die. RCBS or Redding could probably provide a trim die that would allow you to set the shoulder back then cut off the excess in one pass.... The 9.3X74R or any case based on it could be used as well.

IF you are talking about having a barrel CHAMBERED, make it for the 7X65R just as it is.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 7mm would be in a break action encore . . . break action single shot.

Would your 7x57R improved have a similar case capacity to than the 7x65R?

Also, I already have dies for 7x57 . . . could the dies for the rimless 7x57 be used on the 7x57R (unimproved version)?

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote