New
Find
Notify
Tools

STA reloaders - need help please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm trying to pin down the specs on my wildcat, and I just received some 280 gr A-Frames for measuring.
Near as I can tell (my mic is only 1.0" so I have to use dial calipers) the cannelure is set .775" from the tip of the bullet.
This means that for a 3.6 COL, the case must be no longer than .2825" or so.
But I see the STA is 2.85" and no one mentions anything about it.
Those of you loading for the STA, do you crimp?
Could someone with some 250 gr bullets measure the cannelure for me?

Thanks!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I load for two STA's and shoot hundreds of rounds per year. I load my cartridge as long as the magazine will allow, it is that simple. I don't use a bullet with cannelure. I have shot the 280 grain Swift A-Frame, my favorite is the North Fork 270 grain, and 250 grain North Fork. [Wink] Good shooting.

<phurley>
posted
Bwana-be --- I do not crimp. The newest Nosler and Barnes manuals give all the specs on the STA. Good luck.

[ 08-15-2003, 01:23: Message edited by: phurley ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
As the STA and reloading are new to me, I have not done anything with 250+ grain bullets yet. I've just settled on the 225BT for deer. I'll work on the 250+ bullets as the elk, moose, bear hunts get planned.

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
<OMF>
posted
Have been loading the STA for my buddy for many years now. We let the magazine or distance to rifling dictate OAL. To date have never crimped bullets. This rifle has taken many Nilgai and Elk always without fail. Bullets used include Swift 250 gr, Trophy Bonded 225 gr, and GSHV 225 gr.

It's a great hunting cartridge enjoy it.

Bob