Find
Notify
Tools

Fireforming a 243AI (270 neck)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I have had some great advice from guys on here regarding the case prep for the new Nesika I have.
I need some help fireforming. I have some new 243 Lapua brass that has been turned to give .268 when loaded, so that bit should be okay..

To fireform, what is the best method?
Faster powder with bullets into the lands or just my normal 243 load (Varget 41.5 grains and 70 grain Noslers?
I have not annealed the brass as it is new.
I do remember reading that a very fast powder and long bullets should be used (I have a few pounds of benchmark)

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Provided your chamber is cut correctly and the factory brass is a "crush" fit I would simply take your current load and shoot it. If the brass is tight in the chamber no reason seat the bullet in the lands.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
For my .243AI I simply load some good accurate .243 full loads and go at it. Sort of trial and error, but very effective and provides for decent shooting while a pleasant side effect of creating usuable AI brass.

I would however be sure to have the bullet engage the rifling to hold the case back against the boltface during obturation.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your rifle is chambered correctly, there is no need to seat the bullets out against the lands. The bolt will close with a "crush fit".

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What eddie said .
Used 42.5 gns Varget and the 70 Nosler in mine . Stiff loads give nice sharp shoulders .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote