Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Forming
 Login/Join

posted
What are the steps in forming 6x284 from 6.5x284 Lapua brass? I am thinking about building a 6x284 custom rifle,1/8 twist bbl, for long ranch woodchuck hunting.
Since this will be a tight neck I will have to turn the necks, but will I also have to ream them, since I am necking the brass down? Is the process different if I use 284 Winchester brass? What is the difference between 6.5x284 Norm and 6.5x284 Winchester brass? I know I am asking many questions but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a custom rifle and not be happy with it. I can't use more than 100 grain bullets for calibers over 25, that is the reason for not building 6.5x284.
Thanks for the input.

Posts: 14 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 06 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as simple as running the 6.5-284 case thru the FL die. When you stick the mandrel into the case mouth, you establish the case ID; then just turn the case necks to match your chamber.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
They are basically the same case. Going to 6mm is a simple neck down. You say you are going to turn the neck anyway.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOG

You MAY find that the base diameter of the LAPUA and Winchester brass is different. So if your chamber is going to have a tight butt it is a good idea to get some samples of the brass and measure them.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote