New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was planning on rebarelling my rem 700 270 win, is a 270 AI worth doing if I am going to rebarrel anyway? The 280 AI seems popular but I couldn't find any talk about the 270 AI.
Any input would be appriciated.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both Ackley books and read them both when I bought them, about 4-5 years ago. IIRC this was not one of his favorites. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Only you can decide what something is worth to you. What I've found is that as you go smaller AI adds less and less. The factory 270 is already loaded to a higher pressure than the 280. From my experience 50-75fps.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 and let someone talk me out of both. Anything that can be said for the 280AI(.284 dia.) works with the 270AI(.277 dia)- .007 of an inch does not make one better/worse. I really think the question would be is a 100 fps gain worth new dies, fireforming brass, losing theat brass in a snow bank- only the individual knows. I shoot 4 different AI cartridges and enjoy each, but some people find that they get tired of the "game". Only you know how involved you are willing to get in your shooting.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The 270 Ackley is one of my favourite calibers.

I built and used one on several African safaris. Several of us must have killed several hundred game animals with it, ranging from klipsringers to zebra, sable, kudu and so on.

Mine was loaded with Barnes 130 grain bullets at 3200 fps.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I am sold, I guess I was already. I reload 90% of what I shoot so this seems like the way to go. And even If I wanted to I could still shoot factory ammo through the gun. I guess I need to get the ackley books, but does any one know the shoulder angle of this round? I suppose I could make it anything I want though right?

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoulder angle = 40*

You could make it anything, but you may be able to get factory dies that will have the 40* shoulder.

Don't let the detractors talk you out of an interesting adventure - enjoy your AI!

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote