Find
Notify
Tools

Load data for 222 rem mag improved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,
I had the priviledge of acquiring an 18 inch bull barrel with 10 inch twist for my contender carbine made and chambered in 222 rem mag improved by Mike Bellm. I have my dies ordered and on the way and was looking for anyone with experience on this round, comments on the 10 inch twist for heavier bullets, etc. Your help is greatly appreciated in advance.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just be careful in the fireforming process.

I had a lot of misfires starting out, til I found that I had the bullets seated just a little too far in to the lands.

I backed off about .005 and fired the remaining 200 rounds off without a hitch.

I will have to go back and check, but I believe IMR 4350 fills the case enough with lower pressure so that the additional pressure built up from seating in to the lands does not result in excessive pressure for this round.

I will add, during fireforming, all my shooting was done at 50 yards, and even though all loads were thrown and not measured after the first few, all shots were boring out one hole approximately 3/4-inch from outside to outside. I bet it will do the same after working up the good loads, at 100 and 200 yards.

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote