THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Re: Idea for Wildcat Conversion of a Mod. 70 .270

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Idea for Wildcat Conversion of a Mod. 70 .270
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
And Z-Hat's Hawk line. You can use standard '06 brass for these; I think you need Bertram's brass for the Howell's.
Too bad he didn't just go to 2.85" with those, a "mag length" '06 case could really come close to the short belted mags, and still have 5 down.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes I believe the Howell brass is Bretram. I have used 280rem brass to make Howell. The necks are short but at the same COL you have the same net capacity.

In case you want to make something LONG Z-hat sells new Remington 06 cylinder brass. Length before forming is 2.65"
http://www.z-hat.com/Cylinder.htm

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a 300 Apex in Ken Howell's book. It looks like a shorted 300 H&H with less taper. I am guessing that the 270 Apex is the 300 Apex (which must have been a wildcat off the 300 H&H) necked down to 277. This looks like it ought to have a significant power/velocity increase. I tend to worry about excessive barrel wear whenever talking about necking down a larger case for a smaller bore. Is this a problem with the 270 Apex? What about the 270 Gibbs?

Quote:

The 270 Apex, if memory serves is a 277 on a shortened 300 H&H case, with the original case taper preserved.

Posts: 51 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Dah! The thread is for a conversion to a wildcat, not how do I get another plain 0ld run of the mill, every day, not very trendy .270. The man is on the WILDCAT forum and not on the gunsmith forum. You Bwana be constructive and let your mind wander and latch onto something big time here. roger

Well then Wlidcatter,lets just crank it up some.Hell we can go all the way,lets just make that plane Jane 270 into something.How about that now?With a little help from my magic wand why we could turn it into the 585 Nyati.Now that would be a head turner,and the biggest bang on any fireing line.How do you like me now WILDCATTER?BOOOOOOM ahhh thats music to my ears,what say that WILDCATTER?

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a 585/270 magnum. That oughta melt the ol' throat out of that Douglas barrel in short order.

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
["what say that WILDCATTER? "

Whatever your drinking send me a case roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

["what say that WILDCATTER? "

Whatever your drinking send me a case roger

I don't drink,but I do smoke WILDCAT weed.It helps put my eye on that dam 10ring.It grows wild on the back side of the farm.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bartsche,I like you yes I do.Why your funny like a shit house rat.And you know how to play grab-ass now thats a talent I can appreciate.You and me are going to have one fun time.Say bartshit,do you want to keep it civil,or maybe get down to lickspittle.Your call,come on.,

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"Your call,come on.,"
We'll just have to declare you the Champ, RN. I'm pullen a Hank Snow roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one to play grab-ass with.Just might go and Re-Up,Army grab-ass 24/7.But what the hell,thanks for the come back anyhow.