New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapskate Series of Cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last summer ,for lack of anything better to do,I designed the CHEAPSKATE series of cartridges.

This design works with any cartridge built on the standard 30-06 case.The improved versions will
not work.

New Model 700 Rem. takeoff barrels are availible in 25-06,.270 Win.,and 30-06 Springfield
for 40-50 dollars.

I chose the Rem. barrels because,they are cheap,readily availible,and are of sufficent size to fit to SMLE,sm.ring Mauser actions or to line
shotgun barrels.

The chamber is shortened to a shoulder length of 1.1", giving a case capacity of 34.1 Grs. of water,with .303 Br. .35 Rem.or .445 Supermag brass.Case capacity of the .30 CHEAPSKATE is between the 7.62x39 and the .30 Herrett.

Dies are made by shortening the .30-06,.270 Win.,or.25-06 dies,etc.

I have been shooting the .30 CHEAPSKATE since
late last summer and am well pleased with it.

I am now working on the .25 caliber version.
I expect it to slightly excede the .25-35 Win. in performance.

I retired as a Toolmaker and have shop privileges in several shops,so I'm able to do all my own work.

You can build a lot of fun for very little money with this method.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I really like those design specs! The average guy with a lathe can make up some neat stuff w/o breaking the bank. I think those case capacities are ideal for cast bullet use as well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds a bit like the 308x1.5" Barnes.
It supposedly sent a 150gr @ 2500 fps.
More than you need for cast bullet, I'd say.
I'd love to see load data on a 6.5 Cheapskate.
Maybe someday?
Nuttin' wrong w/cheap!!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote