New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
yep i am smiling like a donkey eatin' briars right now. i just had a brain fart, and i was thinking.... hmmm instead of making a 338-06 why be the same as everyone else? so i picked up a barrel that i have that is short chambered for the 338-06 (this is for a project that i have going on right now). then i picked up some 8mm mauser brass, and i put a 338 nosler ballistic tip on top of it. i know this isn't probably original, but i was just having fun anyways, so i figured no harm no foul. the problem is that i like the idea of the round.

i seated the bullets in the 8mm brass with a cartridge overall length of 3.290". then i checked to make sure that they would feed from the magazine at this length, and they did flawlessly. this really got my interests up. i am not looking for a barn burner, just something fun to play with. i have always wanted a wildcat, so you can imagine how i feel about this round in this manner.

what i was wondering is, how hard would it be for a gun smith to rechamber my barrel to work with this round? i guess you could call it a 338-8mm mauser. like i said earlier, i am sure that this isn't an original idea, but i really like the idea of this round. it is just the type of thing that i am interested in.

what are your ideas on this? i really need alot of feed back on it. if i can get it done i will. please help me with this and tell me if it is possible to do without costing an arm and a leg. i hopefully will be getting alot of replys to this. thanks in advance.

britt

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
britt

If the gunsmith has an 8mm reamer with removable pilot then the chambering of a 338 barrel in 338/8mm is easy. The larger neck for the 338 is cut separately and this is a very common proceddure for gunsmiths. In fact a mate of mine in Australia just recently got a reamer in 25 Rem Ultra with removable pilot and that reamer will allow for 7mm Ultra, 300 Ultra and 375 Ultra to be done. However the 338 Ultra is different as it has a shorter body than the other Ultras.

Your additional cost for an 8mm/338 over something like a 338/06 or 338 Winchester Magnum will be for the loading dies.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
Here's some stuff from another forum, hope they don't mind.

http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6532

http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3629

Whoops! You have to be registered to see the picture. Sorry.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote