New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.45-5.56 wildcats
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any body ver heard of a 5.56x45 being necked down to 5.45?

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, you're dropping down from .224 to .210 or so in diameter, so I don't think you'd see any difference ballistically. Also, I know of no bulletmakers who offer bullets in that diameter. Your only option would be pulling bullets from mil-surplus 5.45x39 ammo, and then it's still FMJ-mil-surplus (ugh).

posted Hide Post
I once developed some loads for a friend in jan of 1998, for a E. German "Running Peasant" bolt gun from Century Arms( i think ). I used dies from RCBS ( I bought them just for the fun of the project ) and a LEE custom Lead bullet sizer--cal 221. This project worked pretty well, shooting a long stringy group ( almost complete vertical string ) at 30 yards ( it was all the room i had ). I used resized new winchester brass (trimmed properly), winchester 64gr bullets-resized in the LEE die on a regular reloading press, and h380 powder. first shots all touched but one, strung vertically, only at 30 yards, but then for the first load picked, it worked pretty good.

Posts: 2 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 16 May 2003Reply With Quote