THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Has anyone built a hot .20 cal wildcat??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone built a hot .20 cal wildcat??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got the bug to build another hotrod. I have been thinking about either a 20-250 or a 20- 220 swift. Just wondering if folks have "been there done that" . I would imagine that with a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twist barrel and the 50 grain berger, you would have a formittable 500 yard chuck gun...

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hvyw8t
Having a Ruger#1 re-barreled to 20-250imp. at Weaver Rifles! I'm going for the old falling block look with a 30" oct. tube. thumb The barrle is a Pac-Nor poylgonal 1-11 twist 1.150 to 1.000 flat to flat at the muzzle. hopping to get 4400 with the 40's and 4850 with the 32's. We'll see!

If your interested in the hot 20's go to Keavin Weaver's site and look around, he's working on the 20 Ultimate (20/220swift)as we speak, also look up his read on the "mighty 20-250"
P.s. He has the reamer's for 20-250,20/250imp.,20 bobcat(222 rem.),20 practital(.223 )and if he doesn't have it he'll get it no extra charge.
Good Luck!!! 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a buddy that's got a 20-250, and he's having some success with it on coyotes, but it's down now as he's having some scope problems.

Just finished a 20 BR XP-100 handgun that i'll be using on coyotes next fur season. It's got a 9 twsit specifically for the 50 Berger. We'll see how that goes. I have a PFI 3-9X 22LR rapid reticle on it, that can be seen here-- www.rapidreticle.com.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338vt
I had kevin build me a 20 BR -195" short on a Ruger #1 using a Pac- Nor #4 barrel, that I forming brass for now.
You won't be disappointed.

What are you doing for scope mounts and is Kevin doing the octagoning work.
Sounds liks thats gonna be a serious bench rifle.

Thats some pretty serious velocity you'll be looking at.

My next project willbe a 20 PPC .150" short to shoot teh Bergers 40's at about 3600 FPS.

Michael

The World Would Be A Happier Place If Everyone Owned At Least One Ruger #1.

Posts: 71 | Location: Behind the Orange Curtain, Kalifornia | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mntngoat

That's a very fine looking weapon. I don't think that anything above a 20 BR is going to buy you much more in the way of MV. It will get you a lot of unwanted throat erosion if you go bigger.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mntngoat,
Nice, very nice! Please keep me posted on how it shoots!!!!!
I'm not looking to break any velocity records, I'll settle on a good load around 4100-4200 with the 40's, Big Grin
The octagoing will be done throu Pac-Nor. Kevin is making the mounts.

Jay Johnson,
I'm hopping that the poly bore and mild loading will help get a little more life out of her + it will be a bench/coyote rig, I'll try not to get on the grass rats with it. thumb
338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I have heard people have been playing with a 223WSSM necked down to a 20 and are hitting 5k in velocity, but the bullets aren't holding up. Might be something fun to work with.

posted Hide Post
Whoa 5 gees!!! I had the same problem with winchester 22 magnum projectiles in my 22-250AI - they were really good at night, cause they left trails thru the air like something out of a Arnie movie - devastating on wild cats though!!!

Posts: 28 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote