New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have done a search for threads on this cartridge and the results were dissapointing. What are the feelings of anyone who has one of these? How does it compare to the 338 Win Mag or others? Is it worth the effort and extra expense (dies, reameres etc)?

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parryj,

I have a 338 WSM and feel it may be the best of the line-up for big game hunting.

My 338 WSM is a little different in that it is a handgun.

I used a Rem XP-100 which was formerly a 221 Fireball. Trued up the action, opened the bolt face and added a Sako style extractor.

The barrel is a 15" stainless fluted Lilja with a 1-12" teist as I never planned on shooting bullets heavier then 225 gr out of the handgun.

Performance wise, I use mainly the 180 gr and 200 gr Ballistic Tips is it is mainly used for hunting whitetail and mule deer here in Montana. For hunting Elk, I would use either a 210 gr partition or the 225 gr Accubond.

Its favorite load uses the 180 gr Ballistic Tip over 67.0 gr of Rl-15 and lit with a CCI-200 primer. OAL is 3.075" which has 0.005" contact into the rifling. Velocity with this load is right at 2825 fps with 3/8" three shot groups occuring fairly often and rarely does the handgun shot over 3/4" groups.

When doing load testing, the max load was with 69.0 gr Rl-15 under the 180 gr BT which produced 2975 fps with 3/4 moa groups but primer pockets were opening up around the 4th firing so to save on the fine barrel and the stock of this cannon, I dropped the load down.

With the 200 gr Bal. Tip, using the same powder, I was able to get 2790 fps with max loads and 2700 fps with very comfortable loads.

Have not tested any other bullet to date because there has been no need to. To be honest, the 200 gr Ballistic Tip at 2700 fps would be a very good elk load as penetration at these velocites is very impressive, on par with the partition of 210 gr.

I have been thinking about taking a Ruger M77 MkII short action and rebarreling it to this short 338. I would imagine that in a 24" barrel, one could expect 150-200 fps pretty easily over the velocities I am getting out of the XP-100 handgun.

I do not feel this round will run with the 338 Win Mag but it should come within 100 fps of it with same bullets in same barrel lengths.

I also feel this round should use 225 gr bullets as the heaviest as they require less case volume to be used up compared to the long 250 gr pills.

With the modern bullets around today, this is really not much of a handicap at all.

If its worth the money, thats up to you. My XP-100 has about $1800.00 into it including scope set up and reloading dies and such. From the muzzle to 400 yards this handgun is a flat out hammer on game under 600 pounds. For game heavier then that, I feel shots should be limited to 300 for game such as elk and perhaps 250 yards for larger game then that. Still plenty of range for all of my hunting.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I'm on my third one now, the latest an MRC short action.

First, it will NEVER reach the same velocity as the 338 Win Mag. The powder chamber water capacity is about 6g, or more, difference in the two. It's a great cartridge if you value light weight in a rifle. My latest weighs 7 lbs, 8 oz. The others weighed about 6 oz more.

Is it worth the extra expense, etc? Depends on what you want and how you feel about a wildcat. Certainly the rifle won't have the same resale value as a factory cartridge. I like it enough to invest in a third one but that isn't necessarily a recommendation. I have several Win Mags and I'm not getting rid of them. I think it's a great little cartridge and will do ALMOST anything a Win Mag will do in a slightly lighter package if you stay with the lighter bullets under 225g. It won't compare at all using heavier bullets. Besides, not too many people have them and that itself is interesting.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting post, Bob338. I'd like to get your thoughts (and all others, too, please) on wildcatting a .338 win mag to a .375/.338 win mag. I've got a .338 win mag with very little investment in it and rarely shoot it. And, to all appearance, this conversion of it to a .375 would seem to be a rather simple, re-barreling job. I've earlier read and have since tested that a 270gr, .375 boattail will go right into a .338 win mag case without the need for resizing, fireforming, etc.

I've got a .375 H&H but she's a little heavy and my son-in-law covets the gun badly. I love the .375 H&H's proven one shot, dead in the tracks kills and just plain, like the caliber. But, wildcat fever is calling and I've never done one. Now, having said all of the above, it would appear that ammo availablity would prove to be no problem as long as I had some boattail .375 bullets to shove in'er should I shoot'em all up and have to buy .338 win mag ammo. Didn't mean to go on so long here.

Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks, guys.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the .375 taylor (.338WM case under .375 bullet). It sounds like a wonderful wildcat. The .338WM shoots flatter than both the .375 Taylor and the .375 H&H, and .33 bullets have greater SD. Other than that, the Taylor version would by like a .375's little brother, not as powerful and as heavy, but still a mean little bastard

I was looking at the .375 Taylor's reloading data below, and was very impressed to say the least. If I had a second .338WM, I would think the way you have. Take a look:

http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/375Taylor.htm

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've got a 375 H&H in a Sako and rarely use it. I just don't need a caliber that big in the lower 48 so I just don't have too much use for it nor do I have any opinion. I suppose if you're going after the big bears or to Africa for something other than plains game it would be worthwhile.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote