New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Forming Attrition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am attempting to return a vetran varmint rifle to service. It is a High Wall in a form of .219 Zipper Imp, using the full Zipper case length and radius shoulders. I have an RCBS .219 Zipper Imp. forming die set, a .219 Zippoer Imp 28 degree shoulder sizing die from Hollywood gun shop and a radius shoulder sizing and seater die set, maker unknown. I have found that it is necessary to complete a case through the 28 degee sizer before using the radius sizer or the shoulder will crumple. My first batch of cases were new Rem 30-30 brass. I used Imperial wax liberaly and sized slowly, but still lost about 10% to crumpled shoulders in the sizer. I am new to wildcats. Is this loss rate excessive? Would annealing first help on make it worse? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many dies in the form set? 30-30 brass can be a little soft, annealing could help..... or make it worse! I have a set of 219 donaldson wasp form dies, that seem to work well with very little case loss, and thats with fired brass to start with. Make sure you dont use to much lube as that can also cause problems.
I wish you were nearby, I enjoy working out case forming tricks and troubles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply "theback40". My RCBS forning set has three dies, 1st and 2nd forming and file trim. I think the trouble starts in the 2nd forming die as a few cases come out partially collapsed. They feel different also. I think fired cases may perform better by being harder and able to take more force to push the reformed shoulder in. This case shape is pretty severe. I shoot a 30-30 in lever action shilouette so I have a suppy of well used brass to try. This first shot at case making has given me some brass to load, so my next step is to see if the old rifle wiil shoot well enough to be worth further effort. I fireformed my cases today using the pistol powder and cornmeal method. That's enough of that, what a mess! Next time I'll just load bullets and blase away.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesGet a set of Butch's bushings. I doubt if you loose any first go round. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Butch,s bushings" are something new to me. What are they? What do they do and how do you use them? Where do you get them? I am eager to try them, Thanks for the help.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. Rivard:
"Butch,s bushings" are something new to me. What are they? What do they do and how do you use them? Where do you get them? I am eager to try them, Thanks for the help.

tu2
PM Butch Lambert. He'll be glad to fill you in. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sold out and probably won't make any more. The CNC shops wants quantities of 100 sets at a time. That means 900 bushings and 100 die bushing holders and 100 threaded nuts. Not enough profit in them for the investment. I had my money tied up for more time than I would like for the return.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I just sold out and probably won't make any more. The CNC shops wants quantities of 100 sets at a time. That means 900 bushings and 100 die bushing holders and 100 threaded nuts. Not enough profit in them for the investment. I had my money tied up for more time than I would like for the return.
Butch

Bad news Butch! I really liked your product. On to better things I hope. CRYBABYroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Butch

We still have one set left, Butch's Case Forming Dies

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I have a 5-10% attrition rate when reforming or fireforming. Necking up .338 Win to .375-338 is one example. Blowing out '06 cases to .30 Gibbs is another. Over 10% and I'd re-evaluate my methods.

In the big picture, I can't relate to how folks worry about losing a few $0.25 to 0.40 a piece cases. I have a 100% attrition on bullets costing $0.25 to $1.00 a pop and I don't worry about it one bit! Big Grin

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote