Find
Notify
Tools

7.62 X 41- fire forming
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
BOOM Tomorrow near 100 cases will be fire formed for the 7.62 X 41 . The original barrel was a 16" Douglas Supreme Heavy. The new barrel is a light weight 24" , Shaw attached to a Steven's Mod. 200 action. This will be the Shaw's baptism. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornDid the fire forming with FMJs and cast bullets. Frownerlearned something; Cast bullets are not the greatest to use when fire forming. The FMJs were fine as always.The Shaw barrel's repeatability noticeably improved with every shot. It was close to a 100 round baptism. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what in the world did you build? A .308 that is .4" shorter than standard? If so, I have to ask why?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
roger,
I'm putting together a 220 Swift using a Savage 12fv action and a Shaw 26" 1in12 chmoly barrel. Are you satisfied with the Shaw's performance? I've never used one before.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
So what in the world did you build? A .308 that is .4" shorter than standard? If so, I have to ask why?

roger,
I'm putting together a 220 Swift using a Savage 12fv action and a Shaw 26" 1in12 chmoly barrel. Are you satisfied with the Shaw's performance? I've never used one before.

fishingFirst of all I designed this cartridge and 3 others of the same design in 7mm,.358 and .375 in 1959 or 60. They were finely built into rifles in 1982 when money became available. Why??? I can't even remember and give you an honest answer. Maybe ego.

I have three Shaw barrels two of which are breaking in. The oldest , a 250-3000 lihgt weight 24" is finely shooting nice groups. This after perhaps 200 rounds went through it. Prior to that it always shot under 2 1/2 " at 100 yds.

Wed. the 6.5X55 shot a 4 shot 1/2" group at 50 yds.There have been less than 75 rounds through this barrel.At 200 yds. it was deadly, 140gr. Hornady moving out at over 2700 fps PLUS. fishingroger

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

fishingFirst of all I designed this cartridge and 3 others of the same design in 7mm,.358 and .375 in 1959 or 60. They were finely built into rifles in 1982 when money became available. Why??? I can't even remember and give you an honest answer. Maybe ego.

Well, You DO have an original sence of humor, but I can alaways blame it on my bad english... wave
But come again??
No funky idea that theese would do something better than the .308 family?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:

My question in the "50s" was " A 30 cal. .5" shorter than a 30-06???? Why"???

Bent
Well, You DO have an original sence of humor, but I can alaways blame it on my bad english...
But come again??
No funky idea that theese would do something better than the .308 family?

popcornWhen the original thought process began I hadn't even seen a .308. I got out of the service in Jan. 1957 and hadn't seen anyone useing the M14 yet. The 41mm long cartridges were a result of the 44 Mag being used in the Ruger carbine. The idea was to have a .375 cal cartridge with just a little more power than the 44 Mag for Eastern woods hunting. My young imature mind envisioned the arms companies adopting the .375 Mity Min ( that was it's original name ) in there new short throw slide action , Win. light weight, short barreled, strengthened Mod 92 and the many short semi auto carbines. NEVER HAPPENED.

The .358 Mity Min came next to compete with the much alive 35 REM.and to be able to use the plethora of pistol bullets.

The .308 Mity Min was the next natural thought progression because of caliber interest and availability and weight range of bullets. It showed to be equal to or better than the 30-30. After designing this and the other three cartridges I bought the first edition of Cartridges Of The World by Frank Barnes. As a spin off of his 30 x 1.5" he made a 30 x 1.625" which happens to be almost identical to what I now call the 7.62 X 41. The second rifle in this caliber is what I am now building cases for. The first rifle ,ammo and cases are in AZ.

The birth of the 7mm seemed in order but it almost didn't happen as I was torn between it and a 6.5. As I had a 6.5 Carcano which I dearly loved,the 7mm got the nod.

Some where between 21 and 23 years went by before I could afford to build the four rifles. They were Douglas Supreme 16" bull barrels, the .375 on a Mod 600 Rem. and the other three on Mauser actions.All have LONG throats so heavey bullets need not be pushed into the powder room.

The name change from Mity Min to ZZ X 41 stemed from the fact that the GS building the rifles didn't have the necessary metal stamps to mark the barrels as I indicated So now I have barrels Marked with the X 41 designation and RCBS Dies marked Mity Min.

These cartridges are not a .308 derivitive. In fact the .308 was a totally unecessary 30-06 derivitive. I could never figure where it fit between the 06 and the .300 Savage. In fact if our military had adapted the .300 Savage there would be no .308 or it's handicapped clones. shockerroger

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Roger, for taking the time to explain.
Good ponderings!
Wow, before the .308...
Well, I'm just a pup at 39, please bare over with me.
beer

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingMore fire forming yesterday thumb

Mod 200 Stevens, shaw light weight barrel, 7.62 X 41, 168gr fmjBT, WLR primers, OAL=2.505"

• .257, RP cases, 27.5 gr. Turk Powder from pulled 8mms. 2075 fps. avg.3 shot 1/2" group at 50 yds.good fire form, nice at 200 yds.

• SL-42 cases, 28.9gr. Accurate 2015, 2080fps. avg. mild, good fire form, nice accuracy out to 200 yds.

•