New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I already have in my possession a ss encore frame. Its getting time to do something with it. I am a big fan of the 7mm's. What I want to build is a 7-300. But i want a case without a belt. Whats out there that mirrors the 300WM case minus that darn belt. I posted this on another forum and got an answer worth pursuing but wanted to see what the folks here have to say. Caliber wise my mind is made up. So please dont suggest a short magnum. Am thinking barrel will be 28"ish. Goin for Max horsepower here.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Might look at the Lazzeroni or Dakota brass. I believe the Lazzeroni's are the same size. If you want something larger than the 7mm Dakota you can neck down a larger caliber.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm Ultra mag. That should be a hammer with a 28inch barrel. Dies and brass will not break the bank. Lazzorini and Dakota brass are big bucks, so are dies for their respective rounds.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You are correct Ultra would be cheaper. I just find it curious that when someone will spend the money for a custom rifle. Then worry and complain about the extra few $$ a certin type of brass or dies will cost them. Given a choice I will always buy Norma or Lapua brass anyway. I don't think I have ever needed more than about 50 rounds for my hunting rifles. Why let an extra $100 shift you one way or another. I have no experience with the 7mm ultra it might be exactly what the Dr ordered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My reasoning is this. I use Norma brass in my 280AI. I am building 2 wildcats on a triple duece parent and plan only to use Lapua. Not complaining, just take everything into account. If you are looking at 2-3 different rounds,that on paper are ballistically about equal, why not go with the one that brass and dies are cheapest for. Plus that ussually means they are more readily availble. Put the money into triggers and glass. JMHO

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Didn't mean my comment as a negative to you. It just amazes me that a lot of people will spend a large amount of money to build a custom rifle and then settle for their second choice because they worry about saving $40 on cases in the lifetime of the rifle.

I build a number of wildcats on the 280 case and will use nothing but the Norma brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Talked to Tooley today. His cartridge line is just what the dr ordered. Same base dimension as the 300WM. His 7mm is doing 3400+ from a 26" tube with 150 grain bullets and a charge of RL 22. I am planning on going 27 to 28" on my barrel. And I will be using 140 grain bullets. That should get me around 3600fps. I may be inclined to build a 30 cal as well. But will probably stick with the 7mm for now.