New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Capacity 6mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering what the small capacity 6mm is? The purpose of this round would be pest control in a suburban area. Has anyone ever necked a 22 Hornet up to .243? I didn't know if this case could handle being necked up. I have no experience with the Hornet but have read about fragile case necks in this small round. Is this worth pursuing or should I just look into down loading one of the smaller 6's like the 6x45? Thanks for any input. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoneEagle:
I was wondering what the small capacity 6mm is?

For Americans: the .25-20.
For the British: the 297-250 Rook.
For Germans: the 6,5 x 27 R.

All are classics, all are suitable for your intended application (the .25-20 the least).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 hornet is easy to neck up , up to 270 cal to make the 270 REN ( use in MOA pistol and Merill pistol, some T/C too I think )

6/22 Hornet with 105/107 match bullet is very efficient in suppresed small arm for pest control , nice rabbit gun

so that can make a small cartridge in 6 mm

6/222 is very nice too but far powerfull
6/221 is nice to

with more forming work you can use:
7.63 Mauser just run deep the case in a 7 BR die and after in a 6 BR die to get a 30� shoulder with 6 mm neck , 7.63 Mauser can use 223 bolt face on small brno or even T/C frame
357 mag case are nice but you need more step to make the shoulder if you go with 20� shoulder you are able to use
308 WIN , 7.08 die , 260 die and 243 die as last , use Lee die is lower cost than custom forming die

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you're after a quiet round for subburban areas, you might want to consider not only a small case, but a larger caliber to both burn the powder more quickly, and launch a heavier bullet.

I don't recall reading about a 6mm hornet, but no doubt it has been done. There is a 6mm whisper, aka 6mm/221 that is supposed to be a very good perfomer.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys. This is just an idea that is getting kicked around. More than likely I would just have an Encore barrel chambered for whatever cartridge I end up with. I had forgotten about the .270 Ren coming off of the Hornet case. Is that pretty straight sided?
The idea actually started with the Hornet case as a base. I picked 6mm because as I said I had forgot about the Ren and didn't know how far out you could stretch a Hornet case.
Maybe if I went up to .257 I could use up some of those 117 gr round noses I have that my .250 doesn't really like.
Just to get an idea what is the case capacity in H2O of a REN case? Thanks again, Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
270 REN with 150 gr in 270 seat deep can reduce the volume to the minimum only in Subsonic is to find a fast pitch barrel in 270 , PAC NOR do that I think

to make something more efficient and close in dims that a 6.5/22 Hornet and use the hight BC match bullet in 142 or even in 155 gr you keep your energy longer time than with good hunting poor BC in 270 bullet and fast pitch barrel is easy to get in 6.5 ( 1 in 7 )

make chamber in 6.5/22 H can be made with
22 Hornet reamer
257 neck reamer to get a 0.288 neck ( no need broad neck in 6.5w with thin case as 22 Hornet )
a throater in 6.5 mm

as dies a 6.5 TCU recut can make a nice neck sizer and deater with a sleeve glue inside andream with the 22 Hornet reamer can make a low cost seater

volume will be the volume of a straight 22 Hornet easy to cut in twice a case measure the vulme of the base and compute a volume of a cylinder for the half top of the case

you can give a call to MOA corp they built MOA in 270 REN .

Another easy way is 6 mm because 1 in 8 is use for 6 Norma BR cartridge and that a popular cartridge

good shooting

DAN TEC

[ 06-06-2003, 00:58: Message edited by: dantec ]

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
Lone Eagle,
.223 x 6mm or the 6mm TCU could be useful with a heavy bullet and a light charge of Unique. Say an 85 grain bullet with 5 grains of Unique in a 22 to 26 inch barrel and reduce in .1 (1/10) grain increments until you get the load you want. You should be able to get a load that shoots well at 900 FPS without using any wadding and making very litle noise. Another choice might be to get a .22 rimfire bolt and use gallery or minicap ammo. I know that the minicaps allow you to hear the hammer hit the case as it falls and that is the loudest part of the firing noise. You range is very limited because of the 40 grain bullet and 500 FPS velocity of the ammo.
Hope this helps some,
PaulS

one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't sa what kind of pests, but with rounds of this performance level (subsonic 6mm), you would likely be as well served by a subsonic 22LR with heavy bullets. It will be even quieter than any of the rounds mentioned, and pretty effective. Long range shooting is generally not an issue in urban or suburban settings.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote