Notify
Tools

A litle more on the .358 X404 IMP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
FYI Bwana !
  • 180 gr psp. 88gr. Accurate 4064, Bell case, WLRM, oal=3.682, 3084 to 3153 fps, two touch at 50 yds.
  • Same 89gr. acc4064, 3185 to 3192, oal=3.785" ,mild, a little soot, E.Z. Xtraction 2 shot 3/4" grp. 50 yds.
  • 250gr FP 98.5 gr. Accurate data 86, 3020 to 3005, deadly. one might have had a little sticky xtraction.Should have finished test with the Norma brass. monaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    What on earth are you doing with 180gr bullets!? Maybe I should say "washers."
    At least it's half the caliber. ;-)
    I've been busy tuning my swage setup. Looking for a nice group with 300g. Can't tell what's what with powder, charge, COL, and now homemade bullets in the equation. But good, good fun. Also still playing with the 290g Lee RN cast. Nothing good to tell yet, but that you need the slowest powder you can find and a wipe's worth of TP.
    Truth told, I think this case was made for the .358" and for the 270-280g bullet weight. With your single-shot you could get away with a long ogive seated out to maybe 3.7" or so. I'm thinking in hindsight that with a 3.6" COL like mine I could've left a little more neck (like yours) and lost nothing, maybe made it a little easier on the heavy cast loads.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bwana-be:
    What on earth are you doing with 180gr bullets!? Maybe I should say "washers."
    At least it's half the caliber. ;-)??? Imagine one of those washers leaving the barrel at over 3500 feet / sec.and reaching out and hitting a far distant antelope.
    I've been busy tuning my swage setup. Looking for a nice group with 300g. Can't tell what's what with powder, charge, COL, and now homemade bullets in the equation. Send me a hand full of those home made bullets and I'll be glad to establish some loads. Oh! did you order your accurate Data 86 powder yet? Just what you want for that 300 grain bullet.But good, good fun. Also still playing with the 290g Lee RN cast. Nothing good to tell yet, but that you need the slowest powder you can find and a wipe's worth of TP.
    Truth told,IMHO based on experimenting this cartridge has to much capacity for lead bullets. A .35 Rem. will send the 297gr cast bullet out at terminal velocity or put another way at 30-06 energy levels beyon whih you tend to have bullet degeneration. I think this case was made for the .358" and for the 270-280g bullet weight. With your single-shot you could get away with a long ogive seated out to maybe 3.7" or so. I'm thinking in hindsight that with a 3.6" COL like mine I could've left a little more neck (like yours) and lost nothing, maybe made it a little easier on the heavy cast loads.

Always nice reading your posts beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote