New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom die size?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to try lathe boring a resizing die from screw stock. I need to know how much smaller the die body has to be to reliably size a case small enough to chamber. I have read that roughing reamers are .002" undersize and can be used to make size dies. Is .002" really enough to account for brass springback? For example, for a 280 Ackley chamber with a shoulder diameter of .455" I would need a size die with a .453" shoulder?

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
If you are doing a bottle neck case, just neck size it only, don't do the shoulder.

On straight wall casee, I insert 5/8" drill rod into the threaded stock. It is easier to hold and bore the .625 drill rod. Easier to change the taper, in case of a miss calculation. Just make a new insert.

also:

The neck size should be .006 [min] under size, the body could be .004.

You can also make it in segments. Neck and shoulder, then another for the body taper. If you have access to a ID-OD grinder, you can harden an then grind them on center for perfect alinement.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My only experience with this was making 20 tactical size dies, which resize a 223 down to 204. I found .003 was not enough and had to go with .0035 to get adequate neck tension.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote