New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 American Basic cartridge brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
looking to buy 30 American Basic Brass. Please advise where I make purchase. I have an old Taylor and Robbins benchrest rifle in 219 Donaldson Wasp that needs to have new cartridge cases formed.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro

The last of that brass was sold years ago. What hasn't been formed into Benchrest cases is being hoarded by shooters (like me) because there probably won't be any more made.

You might ask around on the Benchrest Central and 6mm BR forums. The guys who have it will be over there.

Good luck

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. I have 10 cases for the rifle that were made from 219 Zippers 40 year ago or better. Eight of them were loaded. I test fired the rifle with them. The first four from the rifle cut a group of .470". The rest were fired at 200 yards and shot well under an inch. The rifle has an old Lyman 30X Super Targetspot on it. Will keep searching.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what is the brass bringing these days?

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got no idea. This is the first that I have tried to locate some.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro

If it shoots that good with Zipper cases you ought to consider getting some more of them. I see Zipper ammunition quite often on places like Gun Broker and Auction Arms. The 30 American has a small primer pocket and thinner case walls and so the case capacity would be different.

Rich, I paid $25 a box, plus shipping, for the last box of 30 American that I bought. That was a lot of years ago and I would imagine the price is a lot higher now unless you just happen to get lucky.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I acquired some 219 Donaldson Wasp brass off E-bay several years ago - before they turned anal about gunstuff .

You do need to be aware that there are two case lengths in 219 DW - the one you will probably want is the longer version. The short one is short by the thickness of the case rim - some sort of snafu by one of the die makers back in the day.

You can form 219 DW from 30-30 brass with a form die - I have one of those and it works well with a little patience.

Its a cool calibre , I rechambered a H&R single shot from .22 Hornet to 219 Donaldson.

Good luck with your search

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about this one?

http://www.eabco.com/brass01.html

Just opened my first box of reformed 219 D. Wasp this morning..........looks great! They claim all formed from Win. but bag label says R-P........go run now and place an order like I did....r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thats probably the answer to Sendaros prayers Ray.

Anyone else looking for formed brass ought to check it out too.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro

Lookee here

http://www.benchrest.com/forum...0&highlight=american

Ray

Arizona Mountains

one of us
posted Hide Post
Found the answer to the situation. The old Taylor & Robbins benchrest rifle I'm working with in 219 Donaldson Wasp has a .473 bolt face. So the cases can be made from .225 Winchester brass. Have ordered dies from Redding. Thanks for all the help with this matter. May all your shots find their intended mark, John