New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 X .284. ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to build a new hunting rife, and i am picking my cartridge. I have narrowed my choices to .257 Roberts, (standard or AI 40) 25,06 , Or mabye .257 X.284 Winchester. How tuff is it form the brass from .284 win, I see on the Modway web site about a million dies available , trim dies form dies and and many others I could also form them from 6.5 X 284, but don't think it would help much. If I could just run the brass into the die, mabye turn the neck and deber I would be ok with that but if there is much more I would probably just go with the AI. thanks ...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Let me suggest you take a long look at two other cartridges: 6.5x55 Swede and/or 260 Rem.
Either of these two quickly available cartridges will do the job nicely and very little muss or fuss to reload or buy ready made.
Again, just a suggestion.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I have a 25-284 and I love it excellent round IMHO, I usually run the 284 case through a 6.5-284 die first then run it through the 25-284 case. It also depends on the brass you get some lots of winchester brass is soft and other aren't. Just recently I picked a brand new bag winchester brass and all I had to do was run it through 25-284 die and trim it that's it. Sometimes I will get a bag brass and I will have to run it through the 6.5-284 die first. Now if you happen to find a bunch of once fired 284 brass then you don't have to run it through the 6.5-284 die. I think the 25-284 is worth the extra step in making brass for it. If you have one made you will not be dissapointed, I have had 11 one shot kills with my 25-284 using 90gr and 100gr bullets of course the 257 Roberts A.I will probably do it to. My friend has one and he likes the 117's but personaly I see no use for the heavier bullets for deer or Antelope unless you plan on hunting Caribou then I would use the heavier bullets if you need some loading data I have three loads that shoot real well in mine. If you build a 25-284 make sure you do it on a std length action not a short action, if you want a short action then you are better off getting a 260 or building a 250 Savage A.I.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dsite, I agree that the 260 and 65 swede are good cartridges, But I have 13 rifles And I prety much have all the bases coverd. I just feel like building somthing unusual,
.323 < have 2 actions on hand waiting to build.1 is an iterarms MKX 30,06 with a timney installed, and the other is a cosmeticly worn but funtionaly sound pre 64 model 70 featherweight .308. Both are 06 length actions but the winnie would need a new magazine , follower , and and spring but the MK 10 would need a new stock. I could save some money by building on the winnie and trading the mauser for labor. Thanks for your opinions guys.
...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 25-06 AI would be the cheapest most effective way to get velocity and low brass maint....

woofer

if you aint' livin', you're dyin'.

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just run the 284 Win cases into the (RCBS) full length resizing die, taking care to lubricate the inside of the neck as well.

I don't do any other steps.

After firing, I only neck size (with a Hornady .257 neck die).

Some lots of brass are thicker than others.
After a session at the range (with virgin brass), I take the once fired cases and see if a .257 bullet slips in easily.
If there is a tight fit, I inside neck ream BEFORE neck sizing.

I find that inside neck reaming cases that are tight improves accuracy and keeps velocities more constant.

This is a pretty easy round to reload.
I like the advantage in velocity it provides over the 257 Roberts.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 25-284 I bought Redding dies, Lapua
6.5-284 brass & it is a snap to one pass size
this round. The only bullet for me so far has been the 100 Gr. Barnes TSX. With the performance on 4 hogs so far no further
hunting bullets need to be tested. A nice accurate, cheaper target bullet & I'm set.

Enjoy your project, Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any reason to use a long action to build a 25-284. As a matter of fact, if you are going to use a long action, you might just as well go with its ballistic twin, the 25 06.
Many have been able to form 25-284 brass form 284 brass in one pass with a Redding FL 25 -284 die. I had a 50/50 success rate with alot of crushed cases. I used the bullet seater die as a intermediated step and that solved all case crushing problems.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIf you go with the .257X.284 when you are running it through thr 6.5X.284 leave the neck expanding section out of the die and than go to the .257X.284 with the expander in place. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have been shooting a 25-284 since 1968. I simply run a 284 win case thru the 25-284 FL sizing die.Be sure to finger rub a little extra lube on the outside of the neck to prevent buckling. I have shot every bullet out there except the Barnes brand including 100 gr round noses I pulled from old 257 Roberts ammo - klled a nice whitetail at 300 yds with that load - also carribou in Alaska and countless antelope and mule deer - the new 110 gr Nosler Accubond should be a fine bullet for this caliber

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tj3006:
I am going to build a new hunting rife, and i am picking my cartridge. I have narrowed my choices to .257 Roberts, (standard or AI 40) 25,06 , Or mabye .257 X.284 Winchester. How tuff is it form the brass from .284 win, I see on the Modway web site about a million dies available , trim dies form dies and and many others I could also form them from 6.5 X 284, but don't think it would help much. If I could just run the brass into the die, mabye turn the neck and deber I would be ok with that but if there is much more I would probably just go with the AI. thanks ...tj3006

Why not use the 6.5X284 brass already available?

I have a 6mm/.284, and had always made my cases by running .284 brass through an RCBS .25/284 trim die first. (It always sized to .25 from .28, but would not go to .24 without buckling shoulders.) But the next time I make some, I'll start with the 6.5 size instead of .284.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for 257 AI. thumb

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 25/284 on a short 700 action. I haven't chronyed it yet but it shoots well. In order to have an 85 gr Ballsitic Tip fit the magbox, I'm about .100" off of the lands.Less jump to the lands than a freebored Weatherby chamber.....maybe I'll try some rounds loaded to the lands, single shot style. If they are more accurate I may have to stretch the mag box....

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote