New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39 Improved?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a bolt action Ruger in the standard calibre and think that an "Ackley " type improved would be interesting. I asked this question a year or so back without much luck. I assume that someone has tried this before. Thanks.

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do you want to improve it?

Are you looking to increase case size there by allowing more powder and there by gaining more velocity?

Or is there another idea?

Are you plannning on using ONLY brass in this rifle?
I would be conserned with using steel cased ammo. I don't know if it would strech enough.

BTW, I am playing on the other end of the spectrim. I am loading the 7.62x39 at subsonic levels for use with a suppressor.
I am playing at the

one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload and will use only brass cases. My purpose is a little bit more velocity, the "look" of an improved case, reduced trimming etc. etc. I enjoy my 303 Epps which is similar to what Ackley would have done to the 303 British case.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hiredgun:
I reload and will use only brass cases. My purpose is a little bit more velocity, the "look" of an improved case, reduced trimming etc. etc. I enjoy my 303 Epps which is similar to what Ackley would have done to the 303 British case.

Hmmm. I get 2300 FPS from 150-grain bullets, and 2000 FPS from 180-graineers in my 18" barreled CZ 527. I doubt that an improved case would add much to this cartridge's capabilities....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to br.com and search for 30PPC. Using 112 grain bullets expect about 2900fps. It is a true BR round. The 30PPC is a 7.62x39 improved based on 220 Russian brass. I have a reamer and have chambered a 270X39 improved. It is a great deer rifle cartridge for a young shooter.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Go to br.com and search for 30PPC. Using 112 grain bullets expect about 2900fps. It is a true BR round. The 30PPC is a 7.62x39 improved based on 220 Russian brass. I have a reamer and have chambered a 270X39 improved. It is a great deer rifle cartridge for a young shooter.
Butch

Yep. Truly nothing much new under the sun.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 788 Rem, dies and the reamer in 311 Olsen. A 7.62/39 improved with either 40 or 45 degree shoulder. A friend built it years ago for local target shooting. Send me a pm and I'll send you a case. Kind of cool looking. I don't recall the speeds. He built it for accuracy and his loads were very mild if I recall. It's been a few years since I've shot it. Next time I run into him I'll get the whole story on it.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I also have a "sort-of" .30-PPC-Improved BR rifle which I have used for the past 8 years.
JGS made my reamer(s).

I have no trouble getting in excess of 2,200 fps with 210 gr. cast bullets from it, and sub 0.4 MOA accuracy. (Accuracy is about half that size if using good jacketed bullets.)

I make cases from both .220 Russian and 7.62x39 brass, depending on whether I wish to use Large Rifle or Small Rifle primers. I do not use steel cases, just brass ones, preferably Lapua or Sako. V-V N-133 works splendidly for a powder.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to br.com and got a lot of info about Brazil. I really don't want to get too fancy about this- simply have the gun rechambered, fire 7.62x39 brass cartridges (I have Winchester brass) and reload. Given that dies might be difficult, I will probably use the Lee Collet die and neck size only. This works fine in my 303 Epps (an improved 303 British). Continued advice is appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hiredgun,
Check out this link http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55141&highlight=30ppc
You can also do a search and find more info. I think you will love the cartridge. I would recommend using 220 russian brass and fireforming it. The small primers and quality of the brass is great. You can drive it with very high pressure and not open the primer pockets. The brass will last. In a good BR rifle it is a .1-.2MOA 5 shot group cartridge.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote