Find
Notify
Tools

7mm JRS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted
Does anybody here have one of these? I'm building a switch barrel on a long action Model 70, one barrel will be .240 Weatherby, & i'm thinking about the JRS for the other.
Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes I had one for awhile. To me it was in a test taking a 280-280RCBS-280AI-7mmJRS then my 280PDK. I would never build one again. The shoulder is moved forward so you can no longer fire factory but not forward enough to capture the maximum usuable case capacity. You will gain 1% velocity per 4% powder gain at equal pressure in any of the 280 wildcats.

If I were building a rifle like you are I would leave it a 280 and load to 65,000 like a 270. If I had to have a wildcat I would consider something like the 280Gibb, 280Howell or even the 280Hawke.

First choice of the wildcats would be the Howell in the M70 since you could build it to allow you to seat the bullet out taking advantage of the long neck capturing maximum net case capacity. AHR does chambering and even sells the dies for around $86 as well as cases. The Gibbs would be second made for a 280 case instead of the 06. Gives a little longer neck.

Once you leave the basic AI design you lose the advantage of firing factory you might as well go for maximum gain. You MUST fireform anyway.

These comments come from someone who has more non factory cases than factory. The various wildcats are great conversation pieces but the gains are small.

Additional thought after morning coffee. The 240Wby gives you nothing over a 6-06 except higher cost brass. If I was considering a wildcat for the 7mm I would make the 6mm in the same class. Like a 240 Gibbs or 240Howell. Who know maybe someday you would want a 350 or 380> Wink

Pics of the Howell's shown here.http://www.hunting-rifles.com/casecomp.html

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that ramrod, might just reconsider the JRS. I don't mind the idea of a standard .280 Rem, but i'll think about the others.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hope it was more help than confusion. I currently own a 7x57, 280, 280PDK, 7mag & 7STW. Over the last 30 years I have also played with numerous other 7mm. Happy to share if you have other questions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote