Notify
Tools

Slow powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted
Hello,
Will any one out there in the USA tell me about the "medium caliber" propellant powders?
Going through the BATFE Web site docs it seems that they can be classified as a destructive device or not depending on use. Therefore use in a sub cal through 50cal wildcat for "sporting" they seem to be useable without a license or permit.
I would like to use them to reduce throat erosion in a wildcat I am working on in which the slowest powders; readily available to the general public, burn like mag pistol powder in a 308 win.

Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rex, I don't know what you are building, or what kind of burn rate you are looking for, but there is a limit to just how slow a powder is available... I shoot a fair amound of Accurate 8700, and it works well for me in the 7MM RM. I fully believe H870 is the same stuff, based on experience...

There is slower powder available, but only in limited amounts. I believe if you are needing something much slower than 8700, maybe the wildcat is just not going to work for you.

Just my $.02...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WC-7383 from www.patsreloading.com
50 BMG Spotter Tracer powder, $24 per 7lb keg plus shipping and hazmat.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rex Rat
posted Hide Post
Just got off of the phone with the BATFE and there is no problem with the powder as long as it is used in small arms.

Now where does one FIND the slower powders that are obviously out there? Probably, the powder spec for the 30x173 mm will work.

338 bore with 160 grn capacity and not a barrel burner? Reallllly Slooooow powder!

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 93 | Location: Somewhere in this multiverse | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack O'Connor told a story in one of his books. A Q&A person asked about some powder he came into. Naval gun powder. Chunks the size of ink wells. He couldn't get it into the case so he ran it thru his wife's meat grinder to reduce its size... And he wanted Jack to recommend a load... !! No doubt someone decided to restrict public access. Dumb. Make great "slow release" (although high nitrogen) fertilizer, and with government surplus practices, CHEAP... Taxes at work. Oh wellllll