New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildcat Book?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the opinion on the book Designing and forming custom cartridges? Does it give enough information about each round, load data and velocity with detail drawings for each cartridge? Does it give enough information on how to layout and design a new cartridge from scratch? Does anyone know if it has any .243/6mm that will push a 107gr around 4000fps? I hate to buy books without seeing first, I don't need anymore door stops.

Regards,
Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is not the book you're looking for.
There is not one stitch of load data.
If you want case specs, pages and pages, you won't find a better book. And they're preceded by a few good chapters on the in's and out's of designing a wildcat.
Sounds like you want the two volume "wildcats" book.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FLORA66,

"Wildcat Cartridges, I&II" can be obtained from Wolfe Publishing of Prescot,AZ. They have a web-site, do a "Google" search. P O Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders, I&II" is still a good reference book but load data is a bit outdated and all loads should be reduced by perhaps 10%.
Finally, a good soft-ware program to purchase is "Load from a Disc". You can also design your own 'wildcats' and obtain starting load data. The load program is based on the old Homer Powley Computer (slipstick version) but more versatle as it provides load data using different powders other than IMR. I used it in developing the 2 wildcats that I could not find any data--the 8x57 MAI and the 338x57 MAI. If you are into experimenting/designing wildcats you will find "Load from a Disc" most helpful,IMHO.
The above info should get you started in the right direction.
Best regards, Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
just neck a 7mm rem ultra mag down to 6mm- and the buy stock in the barrel maker you are going to buy barrels from- you will use plenty.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lazzeroni's big 30-cal will push a 130gr lubed bullet to just about 4000 fps in a 28-barrel. It's basically (but not quite) a Rigby case neck down to 30-cal. I've heard tales of max accurate barrel life at less than 800 rounds which is OK I guess as this was designed as a big-game rifle and not a range-rat. Just think how long the same case necked down to 6mm would last...I doubt if you would have enough barrel life to develop a load you could use.

If you are looking for a long-range load that will buck the wind I think you need to go longer and keep your velocity around 3100-3200 fps.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're looking for the AccuLoad database.

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the 244 H&H Magnum?

Posts: 440 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude! I had a reply all ready to go and then I checked the dates.

Why did you resurrect a thread Seven yrs old?

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross Seyfried, I know I spelled that wrong, but,
he did a 6mm Mach IV on a 7mag imp case and got what you were looking for. It was in G&A some time back.