New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 VVC Info.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for Chronograph results and or load data for the 338 VVC. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 98 | Location: MO, USA | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grey Eagle,
I have just about come to the conclusion that
there is no .338VVG,as I can find no info on it.
I have been unable to even find any dimensions for
the case.
On seversl forums I have seen questions similiar to yours posed.From answers received on
other forums apparently even VVG is unable or unwilling to divulge any info on this wildcat.
I have sitting before me two cases formed from 45/70 to .338 with a 25 degree shoulder.Shoulder length is 1.530,case length is 2.100.Shoulder dia. is .486.The case will hold about 2 grs.more powder than the .338-06.
Since expansion ratio is almost identical to
the .338-06,performance should be similiar to
the .338-06 at the same pressures.
If the .338VVG utilizes the full length 45/70
case,then it would be similiar to mine.
I have not yet decided whether or not I will develope this round farther.
If you receive any info on the .338 VVG from other sources,post it if you please.
WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
the 338 VVC does exist. Call virgin valley and they can talk with you about the round. I have a 6.5VVC. The design is very simple.They take a 45-70 case and run it through a 264 Winchester Magnum die that has been cut off for length. Therefore you get the shoulder, neck length and body slope as the 264, only in a shorter, rimmed cartridge. I would assume the 338 is done in the same fashion only using 338 Winchester dies that have been shortened. Case capacity is similar to an "improved" 30-06 case. the purpose for the round is to more usuable barrel length and a rimmed cartridge.

Posts: 8 | Location: Roswell, New Mexico | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote