Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5/376 Steyr Mountain Rifle
 Login/Join

posted
In the past, I've been the type to read much and post little, but I need some inputs on my first project. I am in the process of building up a mountain rifle in 6.5/376 Steyr. I have found very little info on this combo anywhere on the net. There are a few gentlemen who have toyed around with it, but I have had little luck in getting in touch of the authors of what I have seen written. We are using a Borden Timberline Action, and a #2 SS Bartlein barrel. I'm still a bit up in the air over the stock to use, but I have narrowed it down to a McMillan Edge, A Lonewolf or a Bansners. I'm leaning more towards the Lonewolf, but my Smith is partial to the Bansners. We are hoping to keep the rifle under 6lbs when we are said and done. I have no specific questions for the group, just what are some of your thoughts to the project. This is my first full blown custom and my first Wildcat as well. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.
I have used the .376 Steyr here in Alaska to take several different animals, I even carried it up a mountain and killed a Dall Sheep with. Too heavy to do that again, but nonetheless, I enjoyed the parent round, and really think the Steyr case has alot to offer my starter project.

Thanks to all in advance.

VR
Todd Langford
Anchorage Alaska

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
It should have the same capasity as the &,5-06 and 6,5-284. Starter loads for theese can be used.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, but TC Dave does (in an encore, of course), or at least a modified version (radius shoulders). Case capacity is seriously more than the 6.5x06 or .284. It is more comparable to the JDJ rounds w/ a short neck and 60 degree shoulder. I've never used the Gibbs rounds, but they might be close, too. You could easily start w/ the Max loads for the 6.5x06 and work up from there.

I shoot the .338 version (.335 OTTR) and for comprison of case capacity (water):
.284 - 64.3 gr.
30-06 - 66.6 gr.
.335 OTTR - 78.0 gr.
.338 Win Mag. - 83.6 gr.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote