Find
Notify
Tools

.358X404
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedBwana-B Have you ever given us a report on your .358X404 or whatevr you called it? If you have I've missed it ( my computer was down for a while ). I for one would like to hear your results and compare notes. I'm sure most of those here would like a run down. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Roger, I don't think I ever did. I've been playing with a few different bullets, powders, but mostly just for funzies. It was meant as an elk round, and I'm pretty happy with my 280g Swift at 2900fps, but that's not max performance. My design intent was more like 2800fps (92g of RL22 IIRC), but when I saw it go closer to 3k, I backed waaay down for ease of mind. 280g at 2800 is a lot more than most elk will ask to be shot with, it's just hard for me to not run this big case fast. With this load I can get some pretty good groups off the bench. I have a 5-shot 2" group from 100yd, squatting w/o rest, which works for me. I doubt 2700 would do much worse, magnumitis I suppose. I shot some Lee 280g RN at about 2400 using a bunch of toilet paper and H4350, some Barnes 250g, Nosler 250 and 220, Speer -what? 200g I think.
It's really an insane round. You can pretty much look at the 338 RUM and 375 RUM and get an idea. Case capacity averages about 115g water.
I will be looking at the 270 North Forks next spring, maybe work up a load in the same 2800-2900fps range. If they're as accurate as this A-Frame, I may switch.
Your data helped a lot, BTW, if I didn't mention it before. I took your spreadsheet and started adding mine with it, in a different color to differentiate. If I can get around to cleaning it up, I'll mail it to you.
Funny, about magnumitis; here lately I've been dreaming about a little Marlin lever in 35 Rem! Shoot 180g cast loads. Deer and whatnot.
BTW, the cartridge is called 9x72mm Bwana-be! Engraved in gold across the barrel even.
Cheers!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
Actually, Roger, I don't think I ever did. If I can get around to cleaning it up, I'll mail it to you.!

I'm looking forward to it.Did you get the 9x41 PM? sofaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Der, uh, yeah! Sure! At least 12 seconds ago!
Back at you.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote