Find
Notify
Tools

.375/.338 Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Has anyone worked with this cartridge? How does it compare with the venerable .375 H&H?

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's some info:
http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/375Taylor.htm

I asked my smith about this wildcat, he said its basically an improved 375. Redding has the dies too. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
This should be a factory round. I like it as well as the .375 H&H.

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these. It's on a Ruger 77 with a Ramline stock. I've used Phil R.'s data without problem. You can easily duplicate anything the .375 H&H can do. I have a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H that, with scope weighs almost 10 pounds. My Ruger 77 in .375 Taylor, AKA .375/338 weighs but 7.5 pounds, yet recoil feel (to me at least) 30 percent less. Groups range from .80" to around .15" depending on the bullet and load. With the better loads, ES is only 6 FPS with 270 gr. bullets and 8 FPS with 300 gr. bullets. This is definitely one the ammo companies should legitimize. With .375 H&H power in a standard length action, I'm sold.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Been offered a Ruger 77 (left-hand) that has been rebarreled in that caliber. Guess I'd better make a place for it in the gunsafe. [Smile]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
You can easily duplicate anything the .375 H&H can do. [...] With .375 H&H power in a standard length action, I'm sold.
Paul B.

Really....
How fast can a 300 grain bullet go?
Bob Hagel loaded his H&H to 2750 fps using a 300gr Nosler and 87gr of N205.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375 H&Hs or 375 Taylors that can achieve 2700fps muzzle velocity with a 300gr hunting bullet with a 24" or shorter barrel must be as scarce as rap artists with philosphy degrees. [Confused]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be. I have never been able to reach any of Bob Hagel's loads in any rifle I own, regardless of caliber. I believe he reached that 2700 plus FPS in a Colt Sharps with a 28" barrel, IIRC. The .375x338 can duplicate any factory .375 H&H load easily. That's what it was designed for. In fact, you can gain a bit more velocity than factory H&H, but that's not what I built it for. I just wanted H&H specs in a standard length action and that's what I got in a fairly light rifle with a bit less recoil. It works, that's what counts.
Paul B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I have a 375-338 also,built on a P-14 Enfield, 26" barrel not counting the brake that came installed. Not a rifle I planned on,but at 300 bucks with dies I would have been a fool to pass on it. Enfields are my undoing in the past 2 years,big bores ans little bores based on big cases have really been finding a home easily here.
My 375-338 has seen Noslers and Hornady 400gr bullets and cast for practice. I also used the Data alluded to above. 4064 seems to be a preffered powder. Mine will stay here.......45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
Bwana-be. I have never been able to reach any of Bob Hagel's loads in any rifle I own, regardless of caliber. I believe he reached that 2700 plus FPS in a Colt Sharps with a 28" barrel, IIRC. The .375x338 can duplicate any factory .375 H&H load easily. That's what it was designed for. In fact, you can gain a bit more velocity than factory H&H, but that's not what I built it for.[...]Paul B.

Winchester M70, 24" bbl; but anyway, yeah, .375 C-T is an amazing round, a testament to efficiency. I just have trouble believing that extra (what?) 10 grains of water-space is for nothing. As near-perfect as it is, I find it hard to believe the C-T can "easily duplicate anything the H&H can do." The H&H can beat factory loads, of course.
I good question is, does the difference outweigh the extra length?
This whole short-mag craze started when it was difficult to get long actions. Nowadays, Remington and Winchester (others?) build all their standard-length calibers on long actions anyway, right? So in large their raison d'etre has faded.
Prof242's situation is that there's a gun already so chambered, and it's a perfectly good chambering.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
This whole short-mag craze started when it was difficult to get long actions. Nowadays, Remington and Winchester (others?) build all their standard-length calibers on long actions anyway, right? So in large their raison d'etre has faded.

Come one, now, surely SOMEONE's gonna argue that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 375/338 is on an Interarms Mark X action with a McGowan barrel. This was the first wildcat I ever worked with. I haven't played with mine as much as I've wanted to but hopefully that will change soon. I did use it to bag a black bear in Quebec last year and was really impressed with it's performance. I have an elk hunt planned for this coming October and am seriously considering using this rifle. Has anyone shot the 260gr. Partition? This is the bullet I'm considering using if I decide to use the rifle for my elk hunt.

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
Mine's on a Win M-70 pushfeed with a 21" McGowen barrel. The barrel had been a 375 H&H which a customer returned to my smithy. He cut the shank, rethreaded it and rechambered it. 71.0 gr RL 15 give me 2,675 fps with the 270 gr Kodiak or WW Powerpoint. 66.0 gr IMR 4064 gives me 2,500 fps with the 300 gr partition. The 300 gr partition is quite devastating. This thing really penetrates. I've got a can of Varget that I think is going to work really well in the caliber. If anyone else has results with Varget, please share.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .375/.338 was also developed as the .375 Epstein back in the early 1970s. There's an excellent article and comparison to the H&H in the book "Wildcat Cartridges Volume II".

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
In response to Bwana-be's comment: "I just have trouble believing that extra (what?) 10 grains of water-space is for nothing." Sure, It has extra case capacity, but it also has 3 times the body taper. I think the H&H round reaches its functional "max load" earlier than the .375-338 when the thrust of the case against the bolt bace causes extraction problems ahead of it reaching a max chamber pressure. Granted, loaded to equal chamber pressures, the H&H should outperform the .375-338 by virtue of the greater powder capacity. ~~~ Lars ~~~

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the 375/338 simply the 338 necked up or has the shoulder location been moved forward like the Taylor?

<Lars G>
posted
The 375-338, as the name implies, is the 338 Win necked up to .375 caliber. The 375 Taylor is dimensionally different, but ballistically identical. The differences are as follows .375-338 first, then .375 Taylor:
Body length - 2.040" vs 2.120"
Shoulder angle - 25 deg vs 36 deg
Neck - 0.34" vs 0.30" (approx)

one of us
posted Hide Post
CGDavid. This is a quote from P.O. Ackley's HANDBOOK FOR SHOOTERS AND RELOADERS, Vol II

"It is simply the .338 necked up to .375 H&H and is a much more modern and efficient cartridge than the original .375 H&H and it is much better adapted for use in standard actions than the extremely long .375 H&H which often requires excessive action alteration."

From what I have been able to gather, the shoulder is not moved forward at all. Just the neck has been opened up to accomodate the larger bullet.

Referring to comments that the .375 H&H can be loader to achieve higher velocity, I suppose that's true. The .375 H&H was, and is loaded to a lower pressure than the .375x338. I have no idea what the pressure is in the .375x338, but it is probably in the same range as the .338 Win. Mag., witht he larger bore helping to keep things in the safe range.
Paul B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana Be, IMHO the difference out the muzzle in nil, but the difference inside is a great deal higher pressure in the smaller case. Just as in the .416 Rem vs .416 Rigby and a long list of other like pairs of cartridges. I don't know what it would be with the subject comparison above but the two .416's are 42kpsi and 60kpsi as I recall, the Rem. being the higher of the two. Performance is virtually identical. Nothing new and earth shaking about it.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lars and Paul

Thanks for the info.

I recently completed a 416 Taylor and am very pleased with the performance. Not that I need it but, thinking about building a 375 to go with it. Found out that the 416 Taylor shoulder is further back that the 338 brass I used to form some of my 416 brass...adds a bit of work to the forming process. If I do build a 375, I really want to be able to do a simple neck up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built and sold a lot of 375 Chatfield-Taylors over the years...They are truly an efficient cartridge..The 338 case is an awsome case as it works well with about any caliber re; 30-338 a great 300 if ever their was one and the list goes on and on...

My only objection is that it is a wildcat, and I see little need for wildcats these days and they can be troublesome in African and foriegn countries...wildcats these days are merely toys for boys, and that's Ok, been there done that.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote