Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help - 6.5-284 or 6.5 STW
 Login/Join

posted
Can't make up my mind witch to go with 6.5-284 or 6.5 STW? Will be used for everything from punching paper to deer hunting and everything in between long range. Pros & Cons please. I am not new to wildcatting have several.
Thanks
Lefty Lucas

Posts: 8 | Location: Murray, KY | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 6.5-284 myself. 6.5 STW is a lot of case for that small bore. Burning a lot of powder that don't need to be burned.

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Take a look at this one
http://www.calibres-messner.com/

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan-

I knew there was something like this around! I had just posted here a few days ago about necking the 9.3x64 case down to 6.5mm. It seems like a natural thing to do, and I was sure that someone would have thought of it already. And there you go - someone did. It sounds great, but I do have to wonder about any sort of availability of reamers/brass/dies here in the US.

I had settled on a 6.5-284, but now I am thinking again...lookout.... maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
maxman

I think the 6,5-284 is a very sound choice. It's factory made brass, ammo dies, which means more money to spend on hunting or other new projects

You will have a much better secondhand value of the 6,5-284. Don't let the 6,5 messner blow you mind..

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan - you are right. The 6.5-284 is the better choice (at least on this continent, or until the Messner gets established). That was the whole argument against it. I think I will go with the new Norma 'standard'. I'm sure it will do just what I want it to One wildcat is enough for me right now. Thanks for the link, though. More information is always better than not enough. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote