Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 imp. or not
 Login/Join

posted
do the gains in velocity and case life outweigh the higher cost of the improved version's loading dies over the "standard" version of this round? also, what is the correct way to form cases for either of the two rounds, in particular the improved round? e-mail address has changed to skippy091953@aol.com. many thanks, victor e.

Posts: 15 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 12 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta 6.5/06. Dont think it can be improved.
Shoots the lites outta any thing I care to hit.
Why waste money?
BTW I use .270 brass , life the longer neck.
One pass operation, Then trim.
Either way you'll love 6.5s

[ 07-28-2003, 06:26: Message edited by: flinter6 ]

Posts: 46 | Location: Topeka, KS | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was improved when I got it,..so I can't say anything about original velocity. I do know they shoot well,.....and fast.

Mine was getting sub .5moa fireforming the brass (lapua)

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
bigbore: NO!~!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine also came improved when I got it. I don't know that the improved is that much of an improvement, but it sure is fun to shoot. I also use 270 brass. It is no big deal to fireform. Mine gets 3/4" on first fireform and 1/2" or less after.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how much improving will help, but the 6.5-06 being a wildcat anyway, why not go with the improved. Your going to have to fire-form brass anyway, and the dies aren't going to be a big deal either way. Why not get that extra few FPS? If you were going to be practical(which isn't any fun) you'd get a 25-06.

Posts: 198 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got to agree with Micmac. If you're going wildcat, why not do it "right" (not that there is anything particularly wrong with the standard 6.5-06). I would suggest that there is no need to stay with the usual Ackley improvement since there is no factory ammunition (except for some expensive proprietary ammunition, I think) to fire in the chamber anyway. A longer case body with a neck of about a quarter inch in length would provide you with a measurable increase in powder capacity over the standard 6.5-06 and would give you at least a small edge in velocity, all things being equal.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 25-06 in it's best day will not measure up to the 6.5 -06.just my .02

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with FLICK. Whens the last time Ya seen a
160 gr bullet in .257. Dos centuvos [Big Grin]

Posts: 46 | Location: Topeka, KS | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had both,6.5-06 on a commercial FN and an improved on an O3A3. Both shot great, both functioned flawlessly, and I got rid of the mauser. Hey, if your going weird, go all out. And you do gain a little velocity. WAY better than any 25-06 I've had.

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BB416, the gain in velocity between the two would probably be minimal. However the case life of the Ackley Improved version would probably be longer due to case design. I like to neck up cases to prevent someone from accidentally chambering them in the caliber on the headstamp. That means I'd use 25-06 brass for the 6.5-06. As far as fireforming just pick a heavy bullet load with a relatively fast powder from one of the reloading manuals and use this to fireform. Any load for the standard 6.5-06 should be safe in the improved version. Watch your rate of twist in this caliber as .264 bullets are long for their weight and if your going to be shooting heavy bullets you'll need a fast rate of twist. Have you checked out the 6.5 WSM yet? What action are you going to use? Hope this helps some. Paul.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A longer case body with a neck of about a quarter inch in length would provide you with a measurable increase in powder capacity over the standard 6.5-06
This would be a 6.5 GIBBS Rocky Gibbs
Very interesting cartridge.

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<RAG>
posted
You ask if the price of the dies is worth the benefits of the improved version of the 6.5-06; that is, 200 fps gain for an extra $20 or $30? No question! Micmac and Stonecreek have say all that needs to be said.

Enjoy.

<JP Terp>
posted
I've got a Winchester Pre '64 in 6.5-06 with a 24" barrel and a Remington 700 in 6.5 Gibbs with a 26" barrel. The standard '06 gives me 2962 with 140 Sierra's and the Gibbs gives me 3080. The velocity difference isn't that great. The choice is yours as to which you go with, but I would base it on which action I'm using. If it's a controlled round feed, I would use the standard '06 case to insure smooth feeding. If it was a push feed (which feed most anything ie:700) I would go with th improved version. Enjoy whichever you use.
John

<LReynolds>
posted
For the 6.5-06, case volume relative to caliber is already high. I don't you think you get much of a velocity increase.....maybe 50-75 fps. I can get right at 3000 fps with 140g bullets and about 3150 fps with 125g Nos Partitions (25" bbl). Both make a fantastic long range deer load........LR

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the most recent Handloader, John Barsness has a table of 7mm & .30 case capacities. He shows the 7 Rem SAUM as holding 1 grain more than the .280 Ackley Imp.

Necking the 7 SAUM to 6.5 (I'm sure it's been done many times already) gives you 6.5 Ackley performance without case forming issues.

It's another route to the same end.

BigIron

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that if you are chambering a new barrel, might as well go with the Improved, for case life if not velocity. If you already have a 6.5/06, I doubt it's worth the expense. If it were me, I'd be all over the 6.5x55 Improved. Check it out and you'll be impressed. Much more efficient. But since you didn't ask, I digress...

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HEY you 6.5/06 users regular or imp., do any of you guy's use the 100gr. bt or the 107mks for varmints and coyotes? What velocity do these lightweights operate at?