New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay, I know it has been done before.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was talking with Kevin Weaver the other day when picking up a couple of rifles. The discussion turned to hunting and he asked me what I was doing. I told him I'm spending five days in OK whacking some white tails with my 10 year old daughter.

Of course then the discussion turned to what rifles we'd be using. My daughter will probably be using his old .250 Savage that I had bought for her built off of a Mini Mauser action. I said I was thinking of taking my M788 in .30-30 and using it.

Anyway he talked about building a .375 Win on the 788 action for a guy. I guess that guy really loved that little rifle. So I got to thinking with the lightweight spitzer bullets in .338 how about .33-375 Win pushing 160 grain TSX or 180 and 200 grain Accubonds?

There is a far better selection of spitzer bullets for the .338 than the .375 when it comes to the lighter bullets. It wouldn't turn it into a LR rifle or anything but it might be fun to play with. Probably wouldn't do anything better but it would be different.

I know most thing have been tried before so I'm sure someone has some data somewhere on a similar cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the thing described but the first thing that popped in my mind was the 375JDJ and wondering if there was a 338 version. Google says yes. The JDJ name is exclusive to SSK Rifles the generic version would be 338-444 Marlin.

You could also achieve your original goal with reamer stacking. A 30-30 Ackley with a 338 necking reamer added. A quick simulation with Load from a Disk using a 338 Federal case reduced to 50gr capacity shows ~2250 FPS with the 200gr AB.

This probably never gained popularity due to safety concerns with pointed spitzer bullets in the traditional lever action tubular magazine.

Cheers and good luck.

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
33 Woodswalker...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
33 Woodswalker...

Thanks ISS, the Woodswalker is close to what I'm looking for. They get 2000 fps with a 10" barrel with 180 grain bullets, I'd think 2225-2250 fps would be possible with a 20" barrel. That would keep a guy in the velocity window of the 180 grain Accubond to 300 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to MickinColo I have an idea of what the cartridge would look like and possibly do!

quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:

Then searching yesterday found that MGM chambers barrels in .338x30-30. PT&G makes the reamer and I've asked for a copy of the print.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Which mini Mauser action did you use to make your 250 savage rifle?.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote