New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 tactical
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anyone load for one of these and are they what they are bragged up to be? Are there any precautions about forming the brass? I have tried to contact the woodchuck den but they are out until friday.
I am planning on putting one together on a savage with a douglas barrel some new wood and a sharp shooter triger.
thanks

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orland, I have a 24"SS VVCG Barrel for my Encore and have no problems forming brass for it. The first 100 rounds I sized for it I ran them through a 223 full length die with the expander removed which takes them down to about 21 cal then run them through the full length Tac20 die and fireform. Next I fulllength sized some once fired Federal brass in the Tac20 die and lost only 3 cases out of 125. My loads are running a little over 4100fps with the 33V-max with accuracy in the .5 to .8 and a few 3 shot groups in the .3 range and one at.230. Do a search for the Tactical 20 there have been several threads on this board.
Albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<tsmysak>
posted
I couldn't agree more. This cartridge is the most exciting thing I have seen come along in a long time and my experience has been the same. With the 33 grain VMAX, I can get almost 4200 fps without stretching primer pockets or experiencing other high pressure signs. The brass is great because people leave all kinds of once fired commerical .223s just laying on the ground at the range. Forming is a single one-time resizing step that is a piece of cake. The die is $60 though. But you make that up quick in what you save on brass.

I have form loads that consistently shoot under .5 MOA and with my best loads I can get five to group under 0.4" just about any time I want to (unless the pressure is on *grin*). The ballistics are as good as or better than a .22-250, even with the poor BC (.185) of the VMAX.

The twist rates in these rifles are fast and there is some debate as to what is best. I think mine is 1:9". I think this has a lot to do with how hard it hits. The demonstation is dramatic, the recoil is small, and the accuracy is superb (Remember though that everything out there right now is custom though). They (Coopers) are selling like hot cakes around here and everyone that owns one is delighted.

Todd Kindler is A-#1 in his support of this cartridge. He has helped me get started wildcatting and I would recommend that you give him a call at the Woodchuck Den.

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
Albert, Would you recoment the form die or form like you described? I visited douglas barrels and talked to them about the reamers they have for it the neck is .230 will I need to turn necks with this chamber?
Thanks for the input.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
It was designed to not require any neck turning. Here is a link to an article:

http://www.smallcaliber.com/html/tactical20.html

I'll know more in a month, but what I have heard is what Albert says, use a 223 die with the expander ball removed as an intermediary, then size.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
orland- I don't think you will need the form die, out of 225 cases I've formed I lost only 3. With some brass you may need to turn necks, if you use IMI brass there will be no need to, I also use Federal brass and don't need to turn it. My chamber neck must be about .232 or .233 from measuring my fired cases.
Albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
orland
how did you like the folks at douglas? tim and the crew there are some great people in my book!
did you get to stop by the pawnshop i mentioned?
i sent you a p.m
muskrat
live free or die

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The folks at douglas were great. They would answer any question asked. I didn't get to visit the pawn shop but I take a trip to Huntington quite often so I'll get them the next time.