New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Apex
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody ever hear of a 270 Apex? or something similar. I bought a rifle about 2 years back, purely for the beauty of the stock and craftsmanship. It is a commercial FN mauser, with an apex barrel, chambered in 270 Apex, I even have the rcbs dies. It's just a 264winmag necked to 270, or 7mmremmag necked down. I have fired 5 times to see about the fireforming and went with the 7mm because brass is cheaper and more plentiful.

I am just curious if anybody knows anything about this wildcat, why it was made maybe???? oddly enough I have a .264 and a 7mmRem. I think I will leave it that way because probably not many other people bothered with such a small change.

I am considering rechambering the 7mmRem for something else magnum in 7mm, any ideas? :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
The designing company was the Apex Rifle Company of Sun Valley, CA. It was probably a design of F.K. Elliott in the 1940's. I say probably, as I have no reference to a .270 Apex. In the cartridge series there are the 6.5mm Apex Magnum, .300 Apex Magnum, .35 Apex Magnum and the .300 Apex Super Magnum. Most were formed directly from .300 H&H Magnum cases, as were a lot of new cartridges and a slew of wildcats.
Some very sparce information on the Apex series can be found in P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders, Volume 1.
I would appreciate dimensional information on your .270 Apex for our database. Please contact me at info@aement.com.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
I have a 300 Apex. It is one of my favorite rounds. Very accurate a little tough on the brass but I get 3480 FPS with a 150 Nosler.

A 270 Apex should be a great round!

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hockey,

Yes, will give all dimensions and details. Probably will be at least a couple weeks though, I have to put a scope on it and then take and fireform some cases. AS soon as that is done I will mic it all and give you the details.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,
Thanks, I'll look forward to it. If you would please, add in the overall cartridge length and case capacity full to the mouth. I'll use the data to enter it into the AccuLoad cartridge database.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote